Information and FAQs for GME Trainees

Exposed and Need Testing?

If you've been exposed, the first step is to fill out Occupational Health's Screening Form. Occupational Health will contact you with next steps. For more information, please visit Employee Health.

Learn about ...

Clinical Care

Measured, Phased Return to Clinical Rotations on June 1

  • Rising fourth-year medical students along with UT Southwestern-employed nurse practitioner students will begin resuming clinical rotations on June 1.
  • Physician Assistant students, Allied Health students, and others will follow throughout June and July.

Continued Monitoring of PPE

Residents and fellows may see COVID19 patients with appropriate PPE and levels of supervision.

Modified rotation availability for residents and fellows who are medically frail (and at risk of severe illness) should be attempted if at all feasible. These options include telehealth, non-clinical rotations, and enhanced PPE considerations.

N95 Fit Testing

N95 respirators fit testing is available for fourth-year students, residents, and fellows rotating on UT Southwestern procedure services in June, including:

  • Surgery
  • Anesthesiology
  • Obstetrics-Gynecology
  • Otolaryngology
  • Other specialties involving high-risk procedures on COVID-negative patients

These individuals are receiving more specific instructions on when and how to make a fit test appointment.

Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)

As a J-1 exchange visitor program sponsor, the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) must monitor the well-being of exchange visitor program participants and report incidents involving exchange visitor physicians and/or their accompanying J-2 dependent(s) to the U.S. Department of State (DoS). Therefore, ECFMG must be notified of any serious matter involving an exchange visitor physician or accompanying J-2 dependent. The DoS has indicated that any incident or event that impacts the health, safety, or welfare of J visa holders or that could bring the DoS exchange visitor program “notoriety or disrepute” is reportable. Specifically, ECFMG is requesting they be notified if a J-1 visa holder or accompanying dependent tests positive for SARS-CoV-2 and must be quarantined.

How to Report a Serious Incident or Allegation to ECFMG

Exchange visitor physicians and/or J-2 dependents must report any serious incident or allegation to the Office of International Affairs immediately by completing the Required Reporting by Exchange Visitor Physician of Incident or Allegation form and sending it by to the Office of International Affairs. The Office of International Affairs will then report the matter to ECFMG. All reporting is expected to take place within one business day of the incident occurrence. Failure to do so may be considered to be a violation of the physician’s J-1 visa status.


How can my program plan?

Make sure that program leadership is participating in planning meetings and activities. If you are a resident or fellow, read all email communications. Comply with all instructions and rules; they are being placed for your safety and the safety of the patients you care for. Ask questions if you do not know what to do. Make sure your program has updated contact information and notify your program leadership of any last-minute changes to your work schedule.

Can I still moonlight during this period?

All moonlighting activities are strongly discouraged during the spread of COVID-19. Programs should assess the risk to residents in settings in which residents/fellows may interact with patients that have been exposed to the COVID-19 virus. Program Directors retain ultimate authority over moonlighting activities, and may choose to terminate said activities at any time.

What happens if I need help with child care?

For front-line employees without the option to work from home, we have some options:

View Child Care Toolkit

We CARE Matching Program
For UT Southwestern faculty, staff, residents, and fellows who are required to report to work onsite and are seeking child care, please use this form to request child care help. Once registered, you will receive a list of willing providers that you can contact directly.