Pilot & Feasibility Program
The UT Southwestern O’Brien Kidney Research Core Center announces the availability of the Pilot and Feasibility Grant (P&F) to support studies on the kidney and renal disease. The P&F grant provides 1-2 awards up to $35,000 support for one year, depending on availability of funds. No more than 10 percent of the grant may be used to support the principal investigator’s salary and fringe benefits. The grant is designed to support the generation of preliminary data that will lead to subsequent NIH funding. Projects must be in one of the following areas:
- Kidney Development and Genetics,
- Renal Physiology and Pathophysiology, and
- Chronic Kidney Disease.
Projects that are focused on the pathogenesis or treatment of kidney cancers are not eligible for funding.
Previous awardees may submit a competitive renewal application for a second year of funding. All applicants must be independent faculty members in one of the following categories:
- New investigators without significant extramural research funding;
- Established investigators outside nephrology who wish to study the kidney,
- Established kidney investigators who propose innovative studies that represent a clear departure from ongoing research interests.
To apply, please submit a letter of intent and supporting materials by January 21, 2020. After this letter is reviewed by the internal O’Brien committee, appropriate applicants will be invited to submit a full application that will be due on March 3, 2020. The projected start date is July 1, 2020.