Special Grant Incentive
UT Southwestern’s Special Grant Incentive (SGI) program provides funding to UT Southwestern faculty members that are successful in obtaining federal awards and encourages faculty to further pursue federal awards to advance science and benefit our patients.
All UTSW faculty are eligible.
The program was launched September 1, 2019 (FY 2020).
- $10,000 SGI per eligible award.
- Each eligible award receives only one SGI over the award duration.
- Max of three SGIs ($30,000) per PI per fiscal year.
- Funded by the Provost Office.
To be eligible, the PI must first have one current award that meets the following criteria:
- Funded by a federal agency (e.g., NIH*, NSF, DoD, NASA, DARPA).
- Minimum two-year term.
- Annual total modified direct costs of at least $100,000 per year.
- Conveyed full indirect costs.
- Used for basic or clinical research; not training, construction, career development, outreach, equipment purchase, etc.
If above criteria are met, the PI’s second, third, and fourth awards are eligible for SGI funding if all of the following criteria is met.
- The second, third, and fourth awards must be a new or competing renewal grant.
- The current award must have 6 months remaining at time of new award start date.
- The current award in these criteria does not receive SGI funding; the second, third, and fourth awards would receive SGI funding.
Multiple Principal Investigators (MPIs)
If there are multiple PIs, each sub-PI earns the full SGI only if the amount of his/her subsection meets the incentive criteria.
How Awards Are Determined
Each quarter, the Provost Office will automatically review faculty awards to determine which are eligible for SGI. Faculty do not need to submit awards for consideration.
When the Provost Office finds eligible awards, the office contacts the PI to discuss which payment option (listed below) is preferred.
PI must be a UTSW employee at time of payment. SGI payment options at PI’s discretion are:
- Pay directly to the PI as personal incentive compensation (applicable taxes will be withheld).
- Transfer to PI’s department for academic or lab development funds.
- Full amount available (no tax).
- Carry-over allowed.
- Requires spending within UTSW guidelines.
For More Information
If you have questions about the SGI program, please contact:
Assistant Vice President – Academic & Business Operations, Academic Affairs