Collaborative Research Grant Incentive
In an effort to stimulate collaborative, team science, the Collaborative Research Grant Incentive (CRGI) provides incentive payments to UT Southwestern faculty members who are the PIs, Co-PIs/MPIs, or Project Leaders of NIH program projects (P), research cooperative agreements (U), or collaborative program for multidisciplinary teams (RM) grants.
All UTSW faculty are eligible.
The program was launched September 1, 2022 (FY 2023).
- Award type must be either an NIH program project (P), research cooperative agreement (U), or collaborative program for multidisciplinary teams (RM) grant.
- Minimum four-year term and $2,000,000 total direct cost budget at UTSW.
- Annual average total direct costs of at least $500,000 per year, not including funds to be expended outside of UTSW under subcontract.
- Indirect costs convey the full institutional indirect rate to UTSW.
- At least 50% of recipients’ research effort must be sourced to extramural grants or contracts including the current grant.
- Awards are expected to have:
- Multiple PIs, including at least one additional PI, Co-PI/MPI, or Project Leader.
- Multiple projects and/or cores.
- Contact PI - Three (3) tier payment options, dependent on total direct costs awarded:
- Tier 1 – For awards of $2,000,000 to $4,999,999: $15,000 per eligible award
- Tier 2 – For awards of $5,000,000 to $9,999,999: $30,000 per eligible award
- Tier 3 – For awards of $10,000,000 or more: $40,000 per eligible award
- Co-PIs / MPIs / Project Leaders – Three (3) tier payment options, dependent on total direct costs awarded:
- Tier 1 – For awards of $2,000,000 to $4,999,999: $5,000 per eligible award
- Tier 2 – For awards of $5,000,000 to $9,999,999: $10,000 per eligible award
- Tier 3 – For awards of $10,000,000 or more: $10,000 per eligible award
- Each eligible award receives only one CRGI over the award duration.
- Funded by the Office of the Provost.
When a grant to a UTSW PI includes subcontracts to external institutions/entities, eligibility for CRGI will be evaluated based on the total direct and indirect funding remaining for use at UTSW after subcontracts.
Awards received by a UTSW PI or Co-PI/MPI through a subcontract will be eligible for a CRGI only after the second year of funding.
External Grant Transfers - External grants transferred to UTSW will not qualify for a CRGI.
Internal Grant Transfers - If a faculty member leaves the institution after receiving a CRGI and transfers their responsibility as PI or MPI, Co-PI, or Project Leader, the transfer will not trigger an award of a second CRGI to the new PI or MPI, Co-PI, or Project leader. New PIs/MPIs, Co-PIs, or Project leaders may be awarded a CRGI if they participated in the original grant submission and no CRGI has been previously awarded.
How Awards Are Determined
Each quarter, the Office of the Provost will automatically review faculty awards to determine which are eligible for CRGI. Faculty do not need to submit awards for consideration.
When the Office of the Provost finds eligible awards, the office will contact investigators to discuss which payment option (listed below) is preferred.
PI must be a UTSW employee at time of payment. CRGI payment options at investigator’s discretion are:
- Pay directly to the investigator as personal compensation (applicable taxes will be withheld).
- Transfer to the investigator’s academic or lab development funds.
- Full amount available (no tax withheld).
- Carry-over allowed.
- Requires spending within UTSW guidelines.
For More Information
If you have questions about the CRGI program, please contact:
Assistant Vice President – Academic & Business Operations, Academic Affairs