Skip to Main

Death of Dependent, Spouse, or Employee

In the unfortunate event of the death of a dependent, spouse, or UT Southwestern employee, certain benefits changes may be necessary.

These changes may include removing a dependent or spouse from coverage, enrolling in coverage if you were on your spouse’s policy, updating beneficiaries, or making changes to a flex spending account (UT FLEX).

Changes must be made within 31 days from the date of death. If changes are not made within this 31-day period, this may affect insurance claims and you may be unable to receive a refund of premiums already paid.

Possible Next Steps

Required document: copy of death certificate 

  • Remove Dependent or Spouse
    • Go to My UT Benefits.
    • Click “Benefits” on the left menu.
    • Click “Edit” under the plan you wish to change.
    • Select the change reason (death of child or death of spouse).
    • Follow the prompts.
    • Save your changes.
  • Upload Documents
    • Go to My UT Benefits.
    • Click “Document Center” in the left menu.
    • Click “+ Add Document.”
    • Click “Choose File” to select your document.
    • Enter a document name.
    • Select the Category from the drop-down menu.
    • Save your document.
    • A document should be associated with each coverage or dependent change.
    • Once you have uploaded your document(s), click “Associate a Document” to attach the existing document upload to the pending requests.
  • Enroll Yourself
    • Go to My UT Benefits.
    • Under “Enroll Now,” click “My UT Benefits.”
    • Click “Get Started.”
    • Follow the prompts to add your dependents (spouse and/or children).
    • Update your tobacco survey responses.
    • Click the tiles to select or decline coverage.
    • Review your Confirmation Statement once complete.
    • Click “Document Manager” to upload supporting documents.
    • Marriage license is required to add a spouse.
    • Birth certificate is required to add a child.
    • Certificate of Creditable overage (or coverage letter) is required to enroll yourself due to loss of coverage under another plan due to death of the enrollee.
  • Change Beneficiary
    • Go to My UT Benefits.
    • Click “Benefits.”
    • Scroll to the benefit for which Beneficiary Designations apply. (Basic Life, Basic AD&D, Voluntary Life, Voluntary AD&D)
    • Click “Add” next to “Beneficiary” to enter a new designation.
    • Click “Edit” next to “Beneficiary” to make changes to existing designation.

Related Link

Do you need emotional support? Speak privately and confidentially with an experienced, licensed counselor through our free Employee Assistance Program (EAP).

Related Policy

UT System Surviving Dependents Policy 240

Questions about your benefits?

Benefits Help Line