Why UT Southwestern
The Department of Radiology offers residency training in the following areas, which are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
Clinical and Education Resources
Radiology residents at UT Southwestern have the resources to succeed in the practice of medicine and in the development of clinical knowledge and skills.
Imaging Equipment and Information Technology
- State-of-the-art imaging resources across all facilities
- PACS and voice recognition across all facilities
- EPIC – Electronic medical records, work orders, and scheduling
- MedHub – Residency management software suite
- Clinical and study resource STATdx and RADPrimer
- Departmental licensure for project and publication development software
- UT Southwestern library with extensive electronic journal subscriptions
- Resident library with book and computer access
- Award-winning medical graphics group
- Private study lounge
The Clinical Experience
The Department of Radiology performs nearly 1 million radiology exams across our diverse facilities annually. As a resident, you’ll have experience at:
- Parkland Memorial Hospital – 870 beds; Dallas County hospital with Level I trauma center; the primary teaching institution for UT Southwestern.
- UT Southwestern University Hospitals and Clinics
- Children’s Health℠ Children's Medical Center Dallas – 487 beds; private hospital with Level I trauma center and an associated clinic system; more than 50 pediatric specialty programs.
You'll also have the opportunity to participate in our Global Health Initiative.
UT Southwestern is one of the nation’s premier research centers. We offer radiology residents outstanding resources to conduct leading-edge research.
Advanced Imaging Research Center – Created in 2005 as a collaborative effort between UT Southwestern and other institutions in North Texas to further the efforts of imaging and translational research
- Departmental statistician
- Five whole-body MRI units: One 7T and four 3T
- MRI hyperpolarization
- Positron emission mammography
- Research and Clinical Grand Rounds Lecture Series
- Small animal MR, SPECT, PET, and CT
- Recently installed 16.5MeV Cyclotron
- Support from the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) plus a Clinical and Translational Research Award from the NIH
- BOLD and TOLD Contrast MRI
- Bone metabolism
- Contrast agent development
- Diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) neonatal
- Fetal MRI
- High-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU)
- Hypoxic-ischemic injury
- Imaging infection and inflammation
- PET and radiochemistry
- Prostate cancer
- Quantitative MRI
- Renal cancer MRI
Salaries and Benefits
Hospital stipends are set annually and are competitive nationally with those of other teaching programs. The amount, shown in the chart below, depends on the year of residency training.
Low-cost hospitalization and dental insurance is available to contracted house staff, as well as a group life insurance plan.
Medical malpractice insurance is provided for Radiology house staff by the Department through the University of Texas System group plan.
Each resident receives three weeks of personal leave annually, plus 10 additional days of paid time off.
Site-based meal stipends are provided based on call shifts.
Subsidized resident parking is available.
Parkland Contract (Diagnostic, Interventional, Nuclear Medicine Programs)
UT Southwestern Contract (Clinician-Scientist Track - First Year Only)
Radiology residency applications should be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
It is strongly recommended that you complete your application by November 15.
The Department acknowledges every application submitted. All positions begin July 1 following successful completion of a preliminary year of training.
All positions are filled through the Match unless special circumstances apply.
International Medical Graduates
International medical graduate applications should be submitted through the Dean's office at your medical school or through Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). For the UT Southwestern clinical visa policy UT Southwestern Clinical Training Visas.