UT Southwestern mentions “Employee Engagement” quite often. What is it? Employee engagement is a measure of the enthusiastic passion an employee has about their job, their employer, and the overall mission.
So… what is enthusiastic passion and do I have it? Enthusiastic Passion can best be described as an eager enjoyment for something you feel strongly about. Here are five ways that can help you discover your passion. The below is based on an article by Susan Biall Haas, M.D. To read the full article, please go to: Five Steps to Finding Your Passion | Psychology Today
- Take stock of what you have a natural ability to do and what makes you happy to do. These are your talents. Being good at something that you don’t love to do is not a talent - it’s a skill. We’re not passionate about skills. Conversely, loving to do something that we are not good at is also sadly not a talent. I love to sing but luckily for everyone around me, I realize that I don’t sing well. I sing joyfully but not beautifully.
- Take stock of what aggravates you. Are their things that others do that are a source of frustration? Why does it frustrate you? Is it possible that you are envious that they appear to be able to do something that you want to do but haven’t? Understanding the ways in which we hold ourselves back from living our passion is important.
- Remember back to when you were a kid. What were your favorite activities? Did you love Legos, finger painting, playing outside, or something else? Maybe your passion ties back to something you loved as a child.
- Ever notice that sometimes you can get so engrossed in what you are doing that you lose all sense of time? Try paying attention to these moments. When you lose yourself in a project and forget the clock, you’re fully engaged. Maybe your passion lies within the project.
- See the quest for finding your passion as an adventure. You might try multiple things before you stumble on the “one”. There are no right or wrong choices on this adventure. Just a huge opportunity to discover new things that you like, try things that you hadn’t considered before, and have fun on the way.
We would love to hear what you are passionate about so please email us at The Skinny. If we get enough responses, we’ll share the passions we receive in the next edition.
Engagement doesn’t have to be all work and no play. Employee Appreciation Week June 7 to 11, 2021 was filled with fun, smiles, and some great food.
Here’s what was happening for Employee Appreciation Week at NL.
And… Here’s the Appreciation Awesomeness at POB.
Check out Clinic Central for photos of their appreciation week. See below for some pics from NL.