The UT Southwestern Medical Center Department of Dermatology provides patient care at UT Southwestern, Parkland Memorial Hospital, the Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Children's Health℠ Children's Medical Center Dallas. When all patient care responsibilities at these sites are totaled, our Department is responsible for greater than 80,000 ambulatory encounters annually.
The Department of Dermatology provides subspecialty care in Adult Medical Dermatology, Dermatologic Surgery, Dermatopathology, Pediatric Dermatology, Phototherapy, and Cosmetic Dermatology.
Our mission is to provide an environment and tools that promote the accomplishment of the following goals and objectives:
- To provide comprehensive dermatological care for patients with skin disease
- To increase understanding of normal and pathological processes in skin
- To facilitate the education and growth of a diverse team of individuals who encompass a wide variety of life experiences, skillsets and viewpoints, including medical students, residents, fellows, faculty, and staff in dermatology and other subspecialties
- To be a vital and highly productive unit within the UT Southwestern Health System
- To contribute to our greater community, and work towards ameliorating health inequities.
In seeking to achieve our department’s mission, the Department of Dermatology strives to foster excellence in health care delivery, education, and research by recognizing the uniqueness in our patients, faculty, trainees, and staff. We represent a diverse team of individuals with different life experiences, skillsets, and viewpoints.
We aim to:
- Foster a supportive culture
- Provide culturally attuned care
- Develop solutions to address the health inequities of our patients and community.
1972: James H. Herndon, Jr., M.D., established the Division of Dermatology.
1975: A Dermatology residency training program was started.
1979: Dermatology transitioned from a Division to a Department, and James N. Gilliam, M.D., became Chair.
1984: Paul R. Bergstresser, M.D., became Chair after the untimely death of Dr. Gilliam.
2007: Kim B. Yancey, M.D., became Chair as Dr. Bergstresser assumed the Editorship of the Journal of Investigative Dermatology.