Metabolic Exercise & Nutritional Services
Metabolic Exercise Lab
New to the CRU in 2017, an exercise lab is available to researches. Our state-of-the-art facility is equipped for metabolic, cardiovascular, pulmonary, body composition, bone density, strength, and physical function testing.
What We Have
- Quark RMR calorimeter
- Lode Corival electro-magnetic breaking cycle ergometer
- Hologic™ Dual X-ray Absorptiometry (DXA)
- Exercise Bike: Lode Corival Electro-magnetic Breaking Cycle Ergometer
- Clinical Nutrition and Research
- The latest innovation in Indirect Calorimetry designed to accurately and instantaneously measure a patient’s energy requirements
- Accurate measurement of Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) and Metabolism substrate (RQ, FAT, CHO, PRO)
- Metabolic Function
- Pulmonary Function
The Clinical Research Unit employs a full-service dietetic staff, including a dietitian and technician, to provide study-specific research diets, metabolic meals, anthropometry, DEXA scans, resting energy expenditure, maintenance of food intake journals, and developing the bionutrition segment of a protocol. The dietetic staff also is available to train study coordinators and nutritionists on standardized nutrition data collection and analysis.
Nutritional services must be designated during the study start-up phase of a protocol (before participants are scheduled for visits).