Phases of Project Development
- Assess Whether You Can Feasibly Recruit
Get a count of UTSW patients from the electronic medical record who may be available to participate in a study or whose data may be available for analysis.View Feasibility Assessment
- Engage the Community
- Connect with members of the DFW community.
- Establish a study stakeholder board.
- Plan Data Capture and Storage
Identify methods to collect and store your research data in a secure manner.View Data Capture & Storage
- Include Study Design, Methodology, and Statistical Expertise
- Work with a biostatistician for help with study design and analyses.
- Obtain assistance with financial aspects of your research to assure success.
- Receive Guidance and Resources for Establishing Scientific Partnerships
- Collaborate with scientists on- and off-campus.
- Facilitate formal contracts, agreements, and approvals for planned services.
Funding Considerations and Opportunities for Your Research
Role of the Investigator
Before moving a project forward, each investigator should understand what they need related to funding before they proceed. It is each investigator’s responsibility to know the budget requirements of their study/project and to secure funding and the support of their department before beginning work.
Role of Support Staff
Department clinical research finance or grant support staff should assist with creating a budget, and a specific plan for funding the work should be developed and discussed with supervisors as needed.
- Grants (federal, state, and private)
- Industry contracts
- Industry sponsors
- Institutional support
- Departmental support
There are many funding mechanisms available to support research.
The National Institutes of Health provide a searchable database of federal funding opportunities by organization and funding type (i.e., activity code). You can also subscribe to the email listserv to receive updates and funding opportunity notices.
The CTSA Program at UT Southwestern has a variety of funding opportunities for investigators. See the Pilot Awards & Grant Funding Opportunities supported by our Program for more information.
Don’t know where to start?
Schedule a consultation with a research concierge via CTSAProgram@utsouthwestern.edu.