Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Distinction
Application Deadline: January 31 of MS3 (first requirement Spring of MS1)
The M.D. with Distinction in Quality Improvement and Patient Safety provides the opportunity to learn the methodologies of quality improvement and the practical experience of participating in quality improvement projects. Earning an M.D. with Distinction means you put forth the effort to deliver the highest quality health care throughout your career.
Individuals satisfying the program requirements will be recognized at graduation as graduating with the degree of Doctor of Medicine, with a Distinction in Quality Improvement and Patient Safety.
- Apply for Distinction
By Jan. 31 of MS3
Submit a formal application for the distinction, curriculum vitae, and a personal statement describing your interest in quality improvement and patient safety. The personal statement should include a description of how the experience will be used in your future career path.
- Complete 24 weeks of Full-Time Quality Improvement Activities
By Jan. 1 of MS4
All activities should be preapproved by the Associate Dean.
- Spring MS1 – Complete the Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Boot Camp Training Course (1 week)
- Complete summer employment in an approved quality improvement project (8 weeks)
- MS2 or MS3 – Continue your quality improvement activities during the scholarly activity rotation (12 weeks)
- Fulfill the quality improvement activities during the Quality Improvement elective (4 weeks during elective time)
- MS2 – Serve in a leadership role approved by the Associate Dean of Quality, Safety, and Outcomes Education
- MS1 – MS4 – Attend and participate in Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Events
- MS1 – MS4 – Attend UT Southwestern IHI Open School
- Confirm Intention to Pursue the Distinction
By Aug. 15 of MS4
Confirm continued interest in seeking the distinction and meet with your mentor to ensure you will meet all distinction requirements.
- Submit Abstract & Posters
Any time in MS1-MS4
Submit abstracts and posters for state and national quality conferences and possible publication.
- Complete a Thesis & Thesis Presentation
By March 15 of MS4
- Obtain approval from the Associate Dean. Note that more than one student may work on the same project if approved by the QI/PS faculty.
- Assemble a review committee of two or more faculty members who are qualified to assess the quality improvement being conducted. This committee will be responsible for assuring that the subject matter and scope of the project are adequate.
- Complete a written thesis
- Include background, local problem, methods, interventions, outcomes, and conclusions of the project conducted
- Refer to the Library’s Electronic Theses and Dissertations Development Process for more information.
- By Feb. 1 of MS4 – We recommend that students begin to circulate their thesis by Feb. 1 to make sure that the committee members have time for change feedback if needed.
- Complete a formal thesis presentation to an audience including the student’s thesis committee
By April 1 of MS4
Final copy of thesis must be signed by the student’s thesis committee and the Associate Dean, then turned in to the Student Affairs office for submission to Library
Distinction Timeline Highlights
- Jan. 31 of MS3
Complete the distinction application.
- Aug. 15 of MS4
Confirm you are still seeking the distinction and verify progress toward completion of all requirements.
- Jan. 1 of MS4
Complete all required courses.
- March 15 of MS4
Complete thesis and thesis presentation.
- April 1 of MS4
Sign and turn in your final thesis copy to the Office of Student Affairs for submission to the Library.