Garry Weber APP Urology Fellowship
Urology has always been on the forefront of technology and development, constantly pushing the envelope in areas such as endoscopy, percutaneous surgery, reconstructive surgery, and laparoscopic and robotic procedures. The need for Urologic trained APPs is growing, and they will be called upon to fill the healthcare workforce needs of the future. Urology is one of the most vibrant, dynamic, and rewarding surgical specialties.
The Garry Weber APP Urology Fellowship Program at UT Southwestern Medical Center prepares an advanced practice provider (Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner) interested in urology for a productive career. Our program emphasizes all clinical, research, and teaching aspects of urology so that the trainee completing our program has the ability to independently function as a urology APP.
The program is conducted at William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital, as well as West Campus Building 3 on the UTSW Dallas campus.
- Close APP-M.D. mentoring relationship with some of the most respected Urologists in the world
- Well-established didactic program (weekly pre-operative conference and grand rounds, monthly journal club and M&M conference, and attendance at national specialty conferences)
- Vast and diverse exposure to the field of urology, including access to the emergency room and inpatient activities at Clements University Hospital, as well as first assist training by an exceptional group of Urology APPs in a wide variety of robotic urologic surgical procedures
Our one-year training program is divided into two sections:
- The first section (six months) is spent learning about the main subspecialty areas of urology. This will include rotations in BPH/LUTS (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms), Kidney Stone Disease and Mineral Metabolism, Urologic Oncology, FPMRS (Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery), Neurourology, and Reconstructive Urology, Prosthetics, and Trauma.
- The second section allows growing autonomy with first assisting during robotic cases at Clements University Hospital. In addition, the APP will see and manage patients at our state-of-the art ambulatory care clinic.
The APP is expected to attend and actively participate in weekly Urology Pre-Op conferences and Grand Rounds, monthly Urology Journal Clubs, the annual Paul C. Peters Urology Symposium hosted by the Urology Department, and various other educational activities throughout the year.
The Garry Weber APP Urology Fellowship Program offers a competitive salary and benefits package:
- A stipend ($75,000) is awarded annually
- As an employee of UT Southwestern, the APP will be eligible for a complete benefits package, which includes medical, dental, and vision coverage, and generous holiday, vacation, and sick leave benefits
Application materials should include the following for a Physician Assistant (PA):
- PA Program transcripts
- Certificate of graduation from an ARC-PA accredited PA program
- Certification from the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
- Either be eligible for or have a Texas Medical License (for Physician Assistants)
Application materials should include the following for Nurse Practitioner (NP):
- NP Program transcripts
- Documentation of completion of an accredited Advanced Practice Education Program
- Licensure as NP and RN by Texas State Board of Nursing
- Authorization for prescriptive authority by the Texas Board of Nursing
- Documentation of Acute Care certification
- Documentation of Registered Nurse First Assistant (RNFA) certification
All candidates should submit the following:
- Basic Life Support certification (BLS)
- Personal Statement
- Curriculum vitae and/or resume
- Two letters of recommendation. If you have graduated within three years, one recommendation must be from your PA/NP program director. If currently employed as an APP, one must be from a current supervising physician.
Admission to the program will be on a rolling basis and will be based on a telephone and/or personal interview process. Applications are now being accepted or the Spring 2023 start date. Please firstname.lastname@example.org Heidi Turpen, PA-C.