Medical Education Distinction
Application Deadline: January 1 of MS3
To train physicians who will be well prepared to serve as clinician educators.
- Provide students with foundational knowledge surrounding adult learning theory, curriculum design and implementation, learner and program assessment, and research methods in medical education.
- Provide opportunities to serve as educators and develop an educational portfolio.
- Prepare the clinician educators of the future.
How do I earn the distinction?
- Apply for Distinction
By Jan. 1 of MS3
Students must apply for distinction and can submit their official application once they reach their clerkship.
- Take Three Electives
By Jan. 1 of MS4
- Pre-clerkship electives
- Med Ed I
- Med Ed II
- Post-clerkship elective
- Med Ed III
- Complete an 8-week Summer Experience
During the summer between MS1 and MS2
Complete an eight-week education-related experience such as:
- Summer project
- Or similar experience
- Complete a 12-week Scholarly Activity
Complete a 12-week Scholarly Activity
During Clerkship of MS2 or MS3
Includes a scholarly project and additional activities
- Do a Student Project
Potential projects may include development of a curriculum, development of an interactive teaching session (e.g. TBL) in an existing course, development of an assessment tool or analysis of an existing curriculum or medical education outcome.
- Assemble a Teaching Portfolio
The student will develop a document that includes their professional accomplishments as educators, including teaching activities, professional development as an educator, awards and teaching philosophies to be maintained over the course of an academic career.
- Complete a Thesis & Thesis Presentation
By March 15 of MS4
- Complete a written thesis
- 30-page manuscript
- Must be approved by the student’s thesis committee
- Complete a thesis presentation
- Formal presentation
- Audience must include the student’s thesis committee
By April 1 of MS4
- Final copy of thesis must be signed and turned in to the Student Affairs office for submission to Library
Distinction Timeline Highlights
- Jan. 1 of MS4
Complete all required courses.
- March 15 of MS4
Complete thesis and thesis presentation.
- April 1 of MS4
Sign and turn in your final thesis copy to the Office of Student Affairs for submission to the library.