Student Health Insurance FAQs
Enrolling in AcademicBlue
- How do I enroll in AcademicBlue℠?
Medical School and School of Health Professions Students:
You will be automatically enrolled in AcademicBlue℠ Student Health Plan, Medical Coverage only, unless you submit a waiver.
Graduate School Students:
You WILL NOT be automatically enrolled. If you wish to enroll you must complete the following steps:
- Log in at AcademicBlue℠.
- Select the Enrollment tab at the top of the page and click on the blue Enroll Online link.
- For your initial login, you will need your Student ID Number (digits only; do not include the “S”) and your date of birth.
You may also choose to submit a waiver. Please see below, ‘How do I submit a waiver showing evidence of alternate health insurance?’
- When should I enroll in AcademicBlue℠?
You will receive an email from the Office of Enrollment Services with details and timelines for selecting AcademicBlue℠ or submitting a waiver indicating you have health insurance through another provider. The enrollment and waiver sites will open approximately one month prior to the start of classes.
- Can I add dependents or dental insurance to my insurance coverage?
You may contract for additional coverage directly through AcademicBlue℠ for:
- Dental – Self, spouse, children, and/or family
- Medical – Spouse, children, and/or family
Enrollment and customer service contact information is at AcademicBlue℠. Unlike your medical premium, premiums for dental or dependent coverage must be arranged directly through AcademicBlue℠ and fully paid at the time of dependent/dental enrollment.
Complete a Dependent Enrollment Form. This process must be completed each semester for dependent/dental coverage.
- What is the cost of the health insurance from AcademicBlue℠?
See details about cost. You will be shown the premiums for your particular student group:
- MS1, MS2, MS3, MS4
- Health Professions Student
- Graduate Student
Coverage details are available in the AcademicBlue℠ Student Health Insurance Plan Brochure.
- I waived the student health insurance plan but have recently lost my insurance coverage. Can I still enroll in the student insurance plan?
Yes, losing insurance coverage is deemed a qualifying event, so you may still enroll in AcademicBlue℠ student health insurance plan within 30 days of the qualifying event. Please contact AcademicBlue℠ customer service at 1-855-247-7587 for guidance on the steps to sign up.
- As a qualified student enrolled at a UT System institution, am I guaranteed coverage under the student health insurance plan?
Yes. Students meeting enrollment requirements are guaranteed coverage.
- Leave of absence and student health insurance – Am I covered?
If you enrolled and paid for student health insurance through AcademicBlue℠ and then go on a leave of absence during your coverage period you will retain your student health insurance until the end of the coverage period.
- How do I know when it’s open enrollment each term?
You will receive an email from the Office of Enrollment Services with details and timelines for selecting AcademicBlue℠ or submitting a waiver indicating you have health insurance through another provider.
- How do I find a provider who accepts the AcademicBlue℠ Student Health Plan?
After creating an online account on AcademicBlue℠, you will have access to the plan’s network provider locator under the Quick Links section (right sidebar on the home page). Click on the Find a Doctor or Hospital link.
- How do I contact AcademicBlue℠?
AcademicBlue℠ ID Cards
- Where or when will I receive my insurance ID card?
New Students: If you are enrolling in AcademicBlue℠ for the first time, your ID card will be mailed to the address of record on file with AcademicBlue℠ within 7-10 business days after enrollment in the health insurance plan. Insurance cards will not be mailed to international addresses. It is important that you keep your address updated in PeopleSoft Student Center.
Temporary ID Cards for New Students: You should receive your insurance card within 7-10 business days of enrollment in AcademicBlue℠. In the interim, you can visit BlueCross BlueShield of Texas, log in, and print your temporary ID card.
Continuing Students: Continuing students retain their ID card. The ID number and policy number will remain the same and a new ID card will not be issued.
Temporary ID Cards for Continuing Students: If you need a temporary replacement ID card, you can visit BlueCross BlueShield of Texas, log in, and print your temporary ID card.
Submitting a Waiver Showing Evidence of Alternate Insurance Coverage
- Do I have to enroll in the UT System sponsored plan?
No. Students do not have to enroll in AcademicBlue℠ as long as proof of comparable coverage is provided to and verified by AcademicBlue℠.
- What if I’m covered under my parent’s or spouse’s health insurance, or I have other coverage?
- How do I submit a waiver showing evidence of alternate insurance coverage?
If you have health insurance coverage from another provider for the full coverage period, you may submit a waiver showing evidence of health insurance coverage at AcademicBlue℠ Waiver.
To submit a waiver:
- Log in at AcademicBlue℠
- For your initial login, you will need your Student ID Number (digits only; do not include the “S”) and your date of birth
- Select the Waiver tab at the top of the page
- Once you have completed the waiver form, you must click the submit waiver button at the bottom of the page.
Domestic students must have a scanned copy of the insurance card (both front and back) to upload to the AcademicBlue℠ website so the preferred insurance can be verified.
International students will be required to upload to the AcademicBlue℠ website the full policy document showing medical evacuation and repatriation insurance as well as the front and back of the insurance card. Please access the following link to view the requirements for submitting a waiver: AcademicBlue℠ Waiver then click the link below International Medical, and Health Professional Students Only.
Your alternate insurance plan must be Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliant.
Waivers must be renewed each term.
- What happens if I cancel my waiver?
If you request to cancel your waiver, the waiver status will be changed to Canceled (For example: if your alternate coverage becomes inactive). The waiver system will send an auto-generated Canceled email advising you your waiver is no longer Verified, and you will be enrolled in AcademicBlue℠.
- What happens if my waiver is denied?
If the submitted alternate insurance plan is verified as inactive coverage or no coverage exists, AcademicBlue℠ will change the waiver status to Denied. The waiver system will send an auto-generated Denied email advising you that your waiver has been denied and you will be enrolled in AcademicBlue℠.
- How do I know if UT Southwestern will accept my alternate insurance coverage?
Visit Insurance Plans
- Are there other requirements that I must meet for my alternate insurance coverage to be approved?
Your alternate insurance plan must be Affordable Care Act compliant.
- Do I have to submit a waiver each semester?
Yes, waivers must be submitted each term. Waivers do not carry over from one semester to the next even if your insurance remains the same. Please note the student agreement on the waiver site:
I request a waiver of participation for the University Student Health Insurance Plan. I acknowledge that I am legally responsible for any and all medical expenses during my enrollment at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and that UT Southwestern Medical Center will not be responsible for any medical expenses I may incur. By electronically submitting this form, I attest that the information provided about my health insurance coverage is true and correct.
- What happens if I do not enroll in AcademicBlue℠ Student Health Plan or waive the Student Health Insurance requirement by the first class day of class for the term?
Students who do not submit a waiver by the first day of classes will be enrolled in AcademicBlue℠ and are responsible for the cost the insurance premium for the term.
- Can I change my option from election (Graduate School students) or automatic enrollment (Medical School and Health Professions students) to waive?
Graduate School Students:
If you made the selection to enroll in AcademicBlue℠ and wish to change it, please contact AcademicBlue℠ customer service at 1-855-247-7587. Changes are permitted prior to the first day of classes for the term. You must provide proof of current health insurance coverage and upload the documentation to the AcademicBlue℠ website.
Medical School and School of Health Professions Students:
If you are going to submit a waiver, we recommend that you do so at least two weeks before the first day of classes for the term, so the AcademicBlue℠ premium cost won’t be added to your student account. If you miss that priority deadline, you can still submit a waiver until the first class day and the AcademicBlue℠ premium cost will be removed from your student account. Students who do not submit a waiver by the first day of classes will be enrolled in AcademicBlue℠ by UT Southwestern, and are responsible for the cost of the semi-annual AcademicBlue℠ insurance premium.
- I am a UT Southwestern employee taking classes. Does the student health insurance policy requirement apply to me?
Yes. The student health insurance policy requirement applies to all students regardless of their employment status. The waive/elect process is based on your student status, not your employee status. We do not have access to employee records and therefore have no way of identifying students who are also employees.
- I have an international plan from my home country. Will this plan be accepted?
International plans are usually not accepted. UT Southwestern requires international students to enroll in the AcademicBlue℠ student health insurance plan, unless they have been approved for a waiver. The only non-U.S. plans that may be accepted are those sponsored by an entity that has guaranteed payment of all health expenses, as well as repatriation and evacuation expenses in writing.