Nephrology Fellowship Overview
The Nephrology Fellowship Program at UT Southwestern Medical Center provides comprehensive training in clinical nephrology and research. Since its inception in 1956, the program has maintained an extraordinary history of training individuals who become leaders in the field of nephrology. The strength of our program is derived from two pillars:
- A tremendous breadth of clinical experience
- A strong faculty body with a tradition of excellence in nephrology research
The UT Southwestern Nephrology Fellowship Mission Statement:
- To train fellows to achieve excellence in the practice of nephrology by providing them a strong foundation cultivating a commitment to lifelong learning.
- To develop future leaders in nephrology that contribute to the advancement of our knowledge of renal physiology and disease.
- To reduce healthcare disparity in the burden of kidney disease by recruiting a diverse housestaff that is skilled in the care of the underserved.
- To support the wellness and resilience of fellows.
Thank for your interest in the UT Southwestern Fellowship Program. Please take the time to explore us in greater detail through the following links:
- History of the Fellowship
- Fellowship Tracks
- Training Sites
- Integrated Curriculum
- Additional Program Enhancements
- Current Fellows and Recent Graduates
- Fellow Life
- Living in Dallas
- How to Apply
- International Applicants
- Transplant Fellowship
Updates for the 2021 Recruitment Cycle During the COVID-19 Pandemic
With infection control policies for COVID-19 in flux for across the country, we will provide two options for this year’s recruitment process. A wholly virtual recruitment day will be available for those who prefer that. For those who wish to visit our institution to meet our faculty and fellows in person, that can be arranged after the virtual interview. The decision to visit is at the discretion of the applicant and will not affect our Match rank list. Plans are subject to change according to the state of COVID-19. We encourage you to learn more about our program prior to your visit by exploring the resources below. We look forward to meeting you!
Innovations in Kidney Education
Our program was awarded the ASN Innovations in Kidney Education Contest (IKEC) awards in 2015 and 2016, recognizing the talent of our wonderful teaching faculty. Feel free to download the winning tools for your own education or to supplement your existing teaching curriculum. Both are built in PowerPoint and require that you enable macros and turn off protected view when prompted. Mac users may not be able to successfully use the tool:
- Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT) Simulator. This tool simulates the effects of user-defined variations in CRRT prescription. It also provides cases that allow the learner to explore common clinical scenarios in critical care nephrology.
- Hyponatremia Illustrated. This resource reviews the many causes of hyponatremia and walks the user through the physiologic principles at play.