Visiting Medical Students from International Medical Schools
Thank you for your interest in pursuing senior electives at UT Southwestern Medical School and our University Hospitals.
To be reviewed for a visiting student elective and maximize your opportunity for a spot, please follow the instructions below. All acceptance decisions are made by the department. Due to the additional time required to process all the paperwork for international students, it is recommended that you start this process at least four months in advance of a rotation.
Please note that only these UT Southwestern Departments accept students from international medical schools.
International Medical Students
Non-LCME/US Citizens attending International Medical School
Visiting students may not complete more than two four-week electives at UT Southwestern.
- Application Requirements
If you are from an international medical school, you must submit the following documents as a complete packet to the Office of Enrollment Services for processing. Once we process your information, your application will be forwarded to the department for review and a decision. A packet should be submitted for each elective you are applying to.
- Application – All applications must be typed. Handwritten applications will not be accepted. An application form should be completed for each elective you are applying to and accompany the packet of information.
- Curriculum vitae
- Essential functions form – Visiting students must attest to their ability to perform the essential functions before starting a rotation.
- Immunization record
- Medical school transcript
- Must pay $150 (U.S. Dollars, “USD”) International Visiting Student nonrefundable Application Fee. Your application will not be processed without this fee. Note: Only one application fee is required to apply to UT Southwestern. Pay your nonrefundable Application Fee.
- Must enter on a B-1 visa sponsored by UT Southwestern. Within weeks of your acceptance by the UT Southwestern department of the elective, you will be contacted by the International Office to begin visa arrangements.
- You may only complete two rotations at UT Southwestern.
Application packets containing all the documents above should be mailed to:
Office of Enrollment Services
UT Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75390-9096
Additional “Surgery – Thoracic/Cardiology – SUR 2102” Department Requirement
The following documents are required as well. These should be included in your packet of documents submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services.
- USMLE Step 1 Test Scores
- One letter of recommendation (LOR) that includes: name, title, and institution of a physician faculty member who has supervised you in a medical or surgical rotation.
- Student applicants must have successfully passed the equivalent of a third-year medical school surgery rotation
- Student applicants must have already had a successful rotation at an American medical school with a letter of recommendation from that institution. There will be no exceptions. No applications will be considered without this, including “contingency” LORs (for example, a student wanting to set up two back-to-back U.S. rotations with UT Southwestern as the second of two and the LOR will be provided to UTSW on the day they show up).
Additional Pediatrics Department Requirements can be found on the Pediatrics Visiting Student webpage.
- Post-Acceptance Requirements
Once you have been accepted by the department to complete a rotation, the following must be completed/verified before you will be allowed to start the rotation at UT Southwestern. At the department coordinator’s direction, you will provide them with this documentation to check off your “To Do List.” Questions about these requirements can be directed to the department coordinator for the rotation.
- Additional documentation to be provided to Office of International Affairs for B-1 Student Visa Document Issuance. Download form
- Good standing – Application statement must be checked and signed by authorized official at your home school.
- BLS and/or ACLS Certification – Must be completed within 12 months of the requested elective start date. Application statement must be checked and signed by authorized official at your home school.
- Standard Precautions Training (recommended by CDC) – Must be completed within 12 months of the requested elective start date. Application statement must be checked and signed by authorized official at your home school. If this cannot be completed at your home institution, then you may complete our online training and provide us with a signed “Attestation of Completion.”
- UT Southwestern Protecting Health Information – Must be completed through the online UT Southwestern Protecting Health Information training. Training should not be completed prior to two weeks of the start date.
- Once you accept an offer and are set up in our student system, you can log in to the training site to complete your online PHI training.
- Upon successful completion of the online course, print the certificate of completion and provide it to the department.
- You will not be allowed to start your rotation without proof of this training. If you have any questions about the online PHI training, please contact the department coordinator or the PHI Office at 214-648-6003.
- Health Insurance Coverage – Must be covered by a health insurance plan; provide proof of coverage and application statement must be checked and signed by authorized official at their home school.
- Professional Liability/Malpractice Insurance Coverage – Must be no less than the amounts provided by the University of Texas System for its own students. Application statement must be checked and signed by authorized official at their home school. Our coverage is currently:
- $25,000 per claim
- $75,000 per aggregate
- $75,000 per participant
- TB Skin Test – Must be completed within the last 12 months and cover the period of the clinical assignment. (This may be part of your immunization record.)
- Mask Fit Test – Must be completed and verified prior to arrival. Application statement must be checked and signed by authorized official at their home school.
- Drug Testing and Background Check – Must meet the minimum standard drug screen panel. The minimum standard drug screen panel is a Health Care Professional 10-panel with integrity checks and Creatinine and pH levels. Acceptable and unacceptable test ranges will follow the 49 CFR Part 40 Federal Standards. The background check must include a search of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Inspector General’s List of Excluded Individuals/Entities. To complete this requirement you must do the following:
- Complete Drug Testing and Background Check (completed in the U.S. at least five business days prior to the elective start date) – Must complete through our vendor, Castle Branch, using the “Background Check + Drug Test Package” code.
- Other Information for Students
Housing – Accommodations must be secured by the visiting student. UT Southwestern does not provide temporary housing, but Visiting Student Housing Information can be found on the VSLO/AAMC website.
Computer Login – We request logins 90 days prior to the start of a rotation. Once we receive the information, it will be forwarded to the department of the clinical elective to give to you.
To learn more about the visiting student experience at UT Southwestern, contact the visiting student coordinator for the rotation you are interested in completing.
For general questions, contact the Office of Enrollment Services, at 214-648-3606 or firstname.lastname@example.org.