Our physicians promote patient safety while enhancing the quality of patient care. UT Southwestern strives to prepare residents to provide the highest level of clinical care with continuous focus on safety, individual patient needs and compassion.
Patients are cared for by residents who:
- Are appropriately supervised
- Possess the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Understand the limits of their knowledge and experience
- Seek assistance as required to provide excellent patient care
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze the care they provide
- Understand their roles within health care teams
- Play an active role in system improvement processes.
Graduating residents apply these skills to continuously improve patient care based on constant self-evaluation and lifelong learning. A cohesive model of health care includes quality-related goals, tools, and techniques that are necessary for health care professionals to achieve quality-improvement goals.