Retiree Group Insurance
UT Southwestern retirees may be eligible to enroll in medical, dental, vision, and life insurance with the Retiree Group Insurance program.
With Retiree Group Insurance coverage, life insurance amounts may decrease. Also, please note that the program does not offer short-term disability, long-term disability, or flexible spending accounts.
Are You Eligible?
Check your employment date and consider the following requirements:
For individuals employed in a benefits-eligible position on Aug. 31, 2003, all of the following requirements must be met:
- Your situation meets the Rule of 80 (age plus service credits totals 80 or more), or you are at least age 55 with five years of state service credit.
- Of your minimum five years of state service credit, three years must be with The University of Texas System (UT).
- The last place of state employment prior to your retirement is UT.
- You retire under TRS, Employee Retirement System (ERS), ORP, or any other federal or state program to which the institution has made employer contributions.
For those employed in a benefits-eligible position at UT Southwestern on or after Sept. 1, 2003, all of the following requirements must be met:
- You are at least age 65 or meet the Rule of 80.
- You have at least 10 years of service with UT.
- Your last place of state employment prior to retirement was UT.
- You retire under TRS, ERS, ORP, or any other federal or state program to which the institution has made employer contributions.
NOTE: If you were employed before Aug. 31, 2003, and returned after Sept. 1, 2003, consult UT System Policy 220 for more information about eligibility for UT Retiree Group Insurance.
Possible Waiting Period
An employee who terminates employment without retiring then applies for retirement benefits later faces a waiting period. Medical coverage or state Premium Sharing only become available on the first day of the calendar month that begins 90 days after your eligible retirement date.
How to Enroll
The Employee Benefits Office conducts enrollment for this program. Submit Retiree Group Insurance enrollment forms via email@example.com with “Retiree Health Insurance Enrollment forms” in the subject line. A Benefits Representative will confirm receipt of your enrollment.