Application and Admissions
Application Period: July 1 to November 1
Cost to apply is $155.
PTCAS charges $155 to apply to the first program and $60 for each additional program.
- July 1: Applications Open
- November 1 at 10:59 p.m. Central Time: Application Deadline – all materials due at PTCAS
- January: On-campus Interviews and notification of acceptance
- May: New class each year begins its studies
Due to the large volume of applications, we encourage applicants to submit all materials well in advance of the deadline. Visit PTCAS to apply and check your application status.
We welcome applications regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, veteran status, or disability. Read our Non-Discrimination Policy.
To be considered for our Doctor of Physical Therapy Program, students must:
- Complete a baccalaureate degree in any field at a school accredited by a UT Southwestern-recognized accreditation body
- Earn a recommended cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Complete and submit an online application with PTCAS between July 1 and November 1. The application will require:
- At least three letters of recommendation (see online application)
- Your Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
- TOEFL scores if you’re an international student (see additional requirements for international students)
- Earn 44 hours of credit in the prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or higher before entering the program
Holistic Applicant Evaluation
Each year, we receive more than 900 completed applications for approximately 43 spots. As you prepare your online application, your goal should be to demonstrate that you are ready to handle the demands of the curriculum.
The Admissions Committee evaluates each applicant as a whole and takes a broad range of factors into consideration when evaluating students, including:
- Quality and quantity of academic preparation
- Letters of recommendation
- Exposure to physical therapy
- Community service activities (reflected in your application materials and statements)
Once we review all the applications, the next step is our interview process, which occurs in January. Applicants who are chosen for an interview will participate in a group interview with three or four other applicants. You also will meet with current students and take a campus tour. You don’t need to prepare anything in advance, but it is helpful to bring an updated transcript in case there are questions about any of your classes.
After each interview day, our Admissions Committee will make acceptance decisions and notify both members and alternates for the incoming class.
Each year, the Physical Therapy program has more than $50,000 in scholarship funds to offer qualified applicants who are accepted to the program. Scholarships opportunities include:
- In-state tuition wavier for highly qualified out-of-state applicants
- Recognition of academic merit
- Assistance based on financial need
We will provide more information about scholarship opportunities and the qualifications during the application and admissions process.
If you’re ready to learn more about UT Southwestern’s Doctor of Physical Therapy Program, we invite you to visit us for a personalized information session. We can get to know each other and you’ll learn more about:
- Physical therapy as a profession
- Strengths of our program
- How to apply
To schedule a visit, email us or call 214-648-1551. firstname.lastname@example.org