Membership is expected to be broadly based and inclusive of individuals from the Medical School, Graduate School, and School of Health Professions.
- Nominations for Academy Membership by Deans, Department Chairs, Center Directors and Academy Members.
- Nominee should have at least 7 years of teaching activities at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
- Membership is based on sustained excellence in at least two of following categories:
- Direct Teaching
- Instructional development and curriculum design, and assessment of learner performance
- Advising and mentorship
- Educational administration and leadership
- Educational scholarship and research
- Candidates for membership complete a Membership Application form to demonstrate consistent outstanding contributions in two or more of the above categories.
- A major component of the Application is a Personal statement, which incorporates the candidate's educational philosophy, including why and how you teach, and a discussion of the candidate's professional development efforts in education.
- Demonstration of a commitment to SWAT, including candidate’s intended contributions to the Academy and UTSW as an Academy member.
- Candidates provide a substantive letter of support from their Chair or Program Director. Letters of support are also needed from their peers and from learners.
SWAT membership is not to be regarded solely as an honorific academic recognition. Membership requires active committee participation in ongoing SWAT-related activities.
See list of Current SWAT Members