Altus Suite: Casper - admissions assessments of non-cognitive skills
All applicants applying to UT Southwestern Medical School, including MSTP, are required to complete an online assessment (Casper), to assist with our selection process.
Applicants are only required to complete Casper from the Altus Suite for application to UT Southwestern Medical Center.
How to Complete Altus Suite
In order to take Altus Suite, you will be responsible for securing access to a laptop or desktop computer with webcam and audio capabilities. You will require the following for both account creation and completing Altus Suite:
- Government-issued photo ID
- Valid email address (the same one you will use to submit your application)
- Working webcam
- Working microphone
- Reliable high-speed internet connection
- Please go to www.TakeAltus.com to sign up for Altus Suite for Medicine
(CSP-10111 - U.S. Medicine), under your specific country, and register using your TMDSAS ID or AMCAS ID and a piece of government-issued photo ID.
- Select a Casper test date. You will be provided with a limited number of testing dates and times. Please note that these are the only testing dates available for your Casper test. There will be no additional tests scheduled. Please use an email address that you check regularly and that you have used for your application; there may be updates to the test schedule.
- Important: To account for identity verification and payment processing timeline, ensure that you register for your test at least 3 days before your preferred test date and time. Last-minute bookings are not recommended.
- Ensure you have selected UT Southwestern Medical School for distribution before the posted Distribution Deadline. Likely, there will be no additional tests scheduled, but the most up to date information can be found by browsing the Test Dates and Times on TakeAltus.com.
- You may complete Snapshot and Duet any time after you have registered for your Casper test at www.TakeAltus.com and up to 10 days after completing your Casper test. After 10 days, you will no longer have access to Snapshot or Duet and your Altus Suite will be deemed incomplete.
- Please direct any inquiries on Altus Suite to email@example.com. Alternatively, you may use the chat bubble in the bottom right hand corner of your screen on the TtakeAltus.com website.
Accommodations: If you require testing accommodations for Altus Suite you will need to submit the Accommodations Request Form signed by you and your qualified professional 3 weeks in advance of your desired test date. More information regarding accommodations can be found here.
The Casper test comprises 12 sections of video and written scenarios. Following each scenario, you will be required to answer a set of probing questions under a time contract. The test typically takes between 75-90 minutes to complete. Each response is graded by a different rater, giving a very robust and reliable view of personal and professional characteristics important to our program. No studying is required for Casper, although you may want to familiarize yourself with the test structure at TakeAltus.com, and ensure you have a quiet environment to take the test. We strongly urge you to take advantage of the 12-section practice test, which will not only immerse you in the test environment, but will also ensure you meet the technical requirements to access and complete the test.
Casper test results are valid for one admissions cycle. Applicants who have already taken the test in previous years will therefore be expected to re-take it.
For a more detailed look at the Casper test, please see this video.