Applications for admission are accepted beginning on May 1 with a final application deadline of Oct. 1. UT Southwestern begins interviewing applicants in September and will begin extending offers of admission in mid-November. For a more detailed application timeline, please see below.
Recommended Application Timeline
January – May
- Take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). If you are taking the MCAT for the first time in July, August, or September, be aware that the UT Southwestern Medical School may not complete the review of your application until your MCAT score has been received
- Ensure you’ve completed or are in the process of completing any required pre-requisite courses for admission
- Start preparing your applications – Reach out to your recommenders, start writing your essays, and ensure you’re familiar with the TMDSAS and UT Southwestern application process
- May 1: UT Southwestern begins accepting applications
- Complete your primary application to the Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service
- Complete your secondary application through the UT Southwestern MyGateWay
July – August
- UT Southwestern begins extending interview invitations to applicants
- Retake the MCAT, if necessary (ensure you submit your updated scores)
- Interview season begins
- Watch your email for an invitation to interview
- Oct. 1: Deadline to complete application, including secondary application
- Oct. 15: All supporting documents submitted to TMDSAS (transcripts, evaluation letters) for applicants should be post-marked by this date.
- Interviews continue
- Nov. 15: UT Southwestern begins extending Medical School offers of admission to residents of Texas; Rolling admissions period begins
- Pre-MATCH offers of admission continue through mid-December
- Interviews continue
- Dec. 31: Last day for Pre-Match admission
- Pre-MATCH UT Southwestern interview season ends
- Deadline to rank schools of preference in TMDSAS admissions match
- TMDSAS match results are announced
- MS0 (Second Look Weekend) takes place
- By April 30, multiple offers must be resolved. This date applies to all medical schools across the nation. It is the final day an applicant can hold on to more than one offer from an LCME accredited medical school.
Accepted applicants interested in seeking a deferral should download the deferral application and submit it as soon as possible to the Office of Enrollment Services. Deferral requests should be submitted by mid-August.
Please note: After June 1, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas. This is the result of an agreement between the four UT System medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, and the University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Only extraordinary circumstances warrant an exception to this policy. If this should occur, the Dean or Director at the school wishing to extend an offer must receive approval from the Dean or Director at the school where the applicant is holding a position before the offer is extended.