Office of Legal Affairs
Through its core values of professionalism, partnership, and excellence, the Office of Legal Affairs provides guidance to UT Southwestern Medical Center executive leaders, faculty, and staff to help advance our institutional missions in compliance with appropriate laws and regulations.
The Office of Legal Affairs is a team of experienced attorneys, nurse risk managers, paralegals, and support staff that adheres to the highest ethical standards, and ensures UT Southwestern delivers care, research, and education the public can trust. Our team has legal expertise in areas that impact a state agency and academic medical center, including constitutional, education, administrative, business, and healthcare law.
Legal services provided to UT Southwestern include:
- Litigation management
- Assistance in the development of policies and procedures across academic, clinical, research, and business functions
- Negotiation, drafting, and analyzing contracts and other legal documents
- Serving on institutional committees and providing training to faculty, staff, and students
- Developing risk mitigation strategies related to patient care, credentialing, accreditation, and medical staff matters
- Supporting, advising and facilitating the University's partnerships, collaborations, and contractual relationships with affiliated entities
- Defending and favorably resolving disputes, claims, charges, investigations, and lawsuits
- Processing claims against the University for property damage or personal injury pursuant to the Texas Tort Claims Act
- Responding to subpoenas and Texas Public Information Act requests
NOTE: Attorneys in the Office of Legal Affairs represent the University and cannot provide personal legal advice to employees, faculty, trainees, or students. None of the information contained on this website is intended to or should be construed as legal advice.