The CTM Clinical Scholars Program is designed for individuals who need additional training, including mentorship, to achieve their research career goals. It is anticipated that all Scholars will take appropriate formal courses – (with or without the master's degree), regularly meet with scientific and career/humanistic mentors, and seek additional training to achieve their research and career goals.

In addition, it is anticipated that Scholars will participate in workshops, research forums, and complete practica. Individuals of exceptional scholarship and aptitude toward critical thinking who show great promise and are committed to pursuing a rigorous research training and career development program are invited to apply. Those from a wide range of academic disciplines and from diverse backgrounds including underrepresented minorities, disadvantaged, and disabled individuals are encouraged to apply.

Applicants must:

  • Have explicit support and commitment from their Department Chair(s) or Center Director(s), to provide:
    • At least 75 percent (faculty) or 40 hours/week (fellows) protected time for two years;
    • Funding for the candidate's salary and fringes during this time, to the extent not supported by funding sources available to the Center for Translational Medicine (see details in RFA under "Financial Support");
  • Be committed to participate in the Program in a focused, active manner for 2 years.
  • Be committed to a clinical translational science research career.
  • Be appointed as a clinical research fellow, junior faculty, or resident at UT Southwestern or one of our CTSA partner institutions.
  • Have a terminal research or health-professional doctoral degree.
  • Have completed initial postgraduate professional training (e.g., internship for those with an M.D. degree) by the start of the program.
  • Have a well-formulated clinical and/or translational research plan and preferably previous research experience.
  • Neither be, nor have been, a principal investigator on an R01, R29, or subproject of a Program Project (P01), Center (P50, P60, U54), or mentored career development (K-series) grants or other equivalent research project grant awards. R03 and R21 grants are permitted.
  • Hold U.S. citizenship, or be a non-citizen national, or have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence and possess an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-151 or I-155) or some other verification of legal admission as a permanent resident. Individuals on temporary or student visas are not eligible for NIH funding.