Participant Advocacy

Support for Research Participants

Participating in clinical trials at UT Southwestern is a voluntary process that contributes to nearly all the medicines, therapies and devices designed and refined to help manage human health conditions with the ultimate goal of established cure.

About Research Participation

The HRPP serves as a resource to research participants by taking calls, concerns, complaints, and answering questions about participation in research. 

Questions to Ask Before Participating in Research

Does the study demand a large time commitments or expenses?

Such as commuting to and from appointments.

Are there potential risks or side effects?

The research team must inform you of any risks or side affects before you decide to participate in the study. This is part of the informed consent process

Are there benefits?

Many research studies involve control groups or placebos. If you are in such a group you will not receive the experimental treatment, however, you will be fulfilling an important role by helping researchers measure the effectiveness of the experimental procedure, drug, or device.

Who is conducting the study?

The Principal Investigator (PI) may be a physician, educator, student, or member of non-profit or for-profit organizations. You may be interested in finding out what company or institution is funding the study.

Who has reviewed/approved this study?

At most colleges, hospitals, and other institutions that receive government funding, studies involving human subjects are reviewed by a board of physicians, scientists, community members, students who assess the safety of the study and ensure that the subjects rights are appropriately protected according to federal law.

How will my privacy be protected? Who will have access to my records?

Ask the study coordinator or a member of the research team about how they plan to store your information and how long they plan to keep it. Will your identity be kept anonymous or do they wish to record “personally identifiable information” such as your address, phone number, social security number, etc.?

What if I no longer want to participate?

No one can force you to participate in research or to continue if you wish to withdraw your participation. A member of the research team should make that clear to you when you agree to participate.

Contact Us 

How can I get more information about my rights or if I have a problem?

If you are participating in research you should communicate with your study team first, especially if you are experiencing medical problems.

Contact us for help if:

  • you want general information or have general questions about research or your rights
  • you wish to discuss problems, suggestions or concerns
  • you do not feel comfortable communicating with the study team
  • you want advice about how to communicate with the study team
  • you have communicated with the study team, but they have not been able to help you

If you contact the HRPP, every precaution will be taken to maintain your confidentiality. If you report a problem, we might need to reveal your name or other information about you in order to investigate the problem. A representative from HRPP will contact you before revealing information about you.

You may contact HRPP by mail, phone, or e-mail.
Human Research Protection Program
ATTN: Participant Advocacy
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
MC 8843
Dallas, Texas 75390-8843
Telephone: 214-648-3060

How can I file a complaint or concern about a study?

  • Call a HRPP Representative at the number above.
  • Email your complaint or concern to the e-mail address above.

Thank you for considering participation in research at UT Southwestern. It is an important decision and we hope that the information provided above will assist you in making that decision.