Set Up Award
Before You Begin
All industry and non-industry agreements must route through SPA’s internal review process for approval or institutional endorsement before you can start the award setup process.
Your clinical research project entails essential details for SPA to produce an award ID number and execute an agreement. These attributes are system requirements to properly administer, invoice, and manage payments for your project.
Examples of Required Award Details
- Sponsor Name
- Expected Amount of Funding per Patient (Based on Contract)
- Effective Date of Performance
- Terms and Conditions
Estimated Duration for Contract Reviews
Industry Agreements Timeline
Once your agreement is fully negotiated, inclusive of your approved budget and department number, it will take up to two days for your agreement to transition to the Setup Team to begin the award setup process.
Award Setup Timeline
The initial Chart of Accounts (COA) String is generally established within four business days and includes:
- Department number
- Fund type
Set Up an Award Process
You will receive a ServiceNow ticket indicating your agreement is fully executed and the Award Setup Team has started the review and award setup process.
Watch for Award Setup Notification
Look out for your award setup notice, the Grant Notification Report (GNR). You will receive a notification from SPA Outreach once your award has been set up by the Award Setup Team.
View COA String
Check your GNR to view your Chart of Accounts (COA) String, award number, and information. View Sample GNR.
Ensure You Are in Compliance
Make sure you are in compliance with the rules and regulations outlined in your agreement terms.
Terms and Definitions
- Describes the actions two or more entities have agreed to and defines the obligations each party has to the others.
- Award ID Number
- Identifier (OPA or SPA number) assigned within PeopleSoft.
- Chart of Accounts (COA) String
- The code used to record each financial transaction, composed of multiple, independent ChartFields (segments).
- Ensure Accurate Award Performance Dates
You must examine the period of performance dates to ensure the start date is accurate and estimated end date is reasonable.
- Understand the Importance of a Department Number
A department number is required to establish the COA String. It is important for recording your budget and expenses accurately to avoid non salary cost transfers (NSCTs) and COA corrections.
- Avoid a Chart of Accounts (COA) Creation Delay
Not including a department number in eAgreements will delay your COA creation.
- Understand Compliance Protocols
During the review of awards, contracts, and agreements, if human or animal subjects are involved, an approved protocol listing the sponsor as a funding source is required.
If the protocol is pending or missing the funding source, the appropriate budget category line will be restricted until the protocol is updated.
Taleo Learn Training Modules
- Module K: Clinical Research Services Overview
- Module L: Clinical Trial Accounting and Analysis Overview
Ask for Guidance
Inquiries reviewed and assigned within four hours, Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Financial Analysis Manager
Lead Financial Analyst
Tools and Resources
- eAgreements Clinical Trial Master Agreement Submission Guide
- Clinical Trial Master Agreement Submission Guide
- Treatment Use Agreement Submission Guide