How to Apply
Information for Medical Students
UT Southwestern and visiting medical students interested in a combined training in internal medicine and psychiatry are encouraged to enroll in MED 1915: Selective - Internal Medicine & Psychiatry
Information for All Applicants
Thank you for your interest in the Combined Internal Medicine and Psychiatry Residency Program at UT Southwestern Medical Center. We accept applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) offered by the American Association of Medical Colleges.
All application packages must include:
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation, including at least one each from an internal medicine faculty member and a psychiatry faculty member (and/or a dual-trained faculty member) who is able to assess your clinical skills and abilities
- Scores on United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE) Step 1
- Scores on USMLE Step 2 CK and CS as soon as they are available
- Medical school transcript
- ERAS-generated curriculum vitae
Additional Information for International Applicants
The UT Southwestern Medical Center participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Before an application is accepted, all requirements specified by the NRMP must be met.
We will not accept applications outside of the ERAS program. It is important to note that UT Southwestern Medical Center only accepts permanent residents of the United States or J-1 Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certified visas
In addition to the above requirements:
- You must hold the standard Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) by January 31 of the application year
- U.S. clinical experience is not required but is preferred
- Medical school graduation date of 2013 or later. Exceptions to this requirement will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Two of your recommendation letters should be from your medical school; however, if you have U.S. clinical experience, those recommendations are also acceptable.