Internal Medicine/Psychiatry Residency Program
The Combined Internal Medicine and Psychiatry five-year residency program provides an unparalleled opportunity for trainees to create and grow a combined practice at one of the premier academic medical centers in the nation.
Combined program residents enjoy an array of resources and educational opportunities provided by the internationally recognized faculty and researchers of each categorical program. Clinical training occurs through encounters with a diverse patient base at a variety of health systems including:
- Parkland Health and Hospital System, one of the nation’s premier public county hospitals
- Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital and Zale Lipshy Pavilion—William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital
- Children’s Health℠ Children's Medical Center Dallas, a private tertiary care pediatric hospital
- Metrocare Services, an innovative public-private community psychiatry system
This variety offers an outstanding experience for residents, instilling confidence to practice in whatever setting they choose after graduation.
In addition to the opportunities provided by both categorical programs, the combined program leverages a variety of resources that UT Southwestern has at hand — including a secured inpatient medical ward for those with co-morbid acute medical and psychiatric illness, our ACGME-accredited psychosomatic fellowship program, and our integrated care practice program — to develop didactics and experiential training specifically for combined program residents.