Frequently Asked Questions

Can UT Southwestern police officers enforce the law off the UTSW campus?

Yes. All UT Southwestern Medical Center commissioned police officers are licensed and certified by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) and are recognized peace officers under Article 2.12 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure. Even though UT Southwestern police officers primarily patrol and operate on any property owned, leased, or otherwise under the control of UT Southwestern, they are authorized to make arrests pursuant to the Texas Code of Criminal Procedures for crimes as defined by any applicable Texas law.

Can I make a report over the telephone?

It depends what type of crime, incident, or information you wish to report. Some cases can be handled over the telephone, but some situations are best handled by having an officer dispatched to your location for more information.

Why does it sometimes take a while for an officer to respond and take my report?

All calls received by the Police Department are prioritized by urgency. Emergency calls are given higher priority than non-emergency calls. All calls are important and services will be rendered as soon as reasonably possible.

If I had something stolen from campus, do I need to report it to other police departments?

No. In most cases, if the property is stolen from campus or locations under the control of UT Southwestern, the UT Southwestern Police Department has jurisdiction. Therefore, it would not be necessary to report it to another outside police agency.

How can I get a copy of a report?

Information regarding reports request can be found here.

How can I get fingerprinted?

Fingerprinting services are currently free of charge to UT Southwestern faculty, staff, students, and their families. The service is available from 1–4:30 p.m. weekdays.

Does a campus parking or traffic ticket affect my driving record?

Campus citations are handled through the Medical Center and do not affect your state driver’s license record. Contact Parking Services at 214-648-9600 for more information.

How can I appeal a warning or campus citation?

Obtain a Traffic Appeal Request Form from Parking Services or the Police Department, and fax the completed form to the traffic appeals committee at 214-648-9601. Note: This form cannot be used for court appearance tickets.

What fine is associated with a court appearance parking or traffic ticket?

All court appearance citations are issued by police officers and are handled through the appropriate Dallas County Justice of the Peace Court. See the reverse side of your citation copy for the appropriate court address and telephone number. The court information where the charge will be filed is indicated on the front side of the citation; contact the appropriate court to determine the fine amount. Court appearance traffic citations can affect your state driver’s license record.

How can I compliment or complain about police/security service?

Contact the police department at 214-648-8311 and speak to the on-duty supervisor. Visit our Compliments and Complaints page for more information.

Can I get a permit to carry a pistol?

Handgun permits are issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety. Call 214-861-2125 for more information.

How do I get a copy of my criminal record?

Criminal records are maintained by the Texas Department of Public Safety. Call 214-861-2125 for more information.