What is Student Wellness & Counseling?

It is a clinical service that takes care of students following a clinical model to address the emotional concerns and conditions of our students.

Who is eligible for Student Wellness & Counseling at UT Southwestern Medical Center?

Current medical, health professions, graduate school students, visiting medical students and postdoctoral research scholars with job codes 804, 805, PGT, PRFII, or PRHII have full access to Student Wellness & Counseling services. A referral is not needed and appointments can be made by phone and or in person for an initial consultation.

Some students go to Student Wellness & Counseling for just a few visits while others come for ongoing therapy.  Decisions about the appropriate treatment are made on an individual basis.

Will I feel better after my first appointment?

You may feel better simply by taking a step in the process. However, the initial assessment is intended for you to share, and the clinical staff to learn about your issues and needs. Your treatment will officially begin with your designated clinician. Students are able to have an assessment in Student Wellness and Counseling without a charge to themselves or their insurance provider. Care will then be determined by a provider.

What are the different types of therapy sessions offered?

Student Wellness & Counseling staff include psychologists, psychiatrists and an LCSW (licensed counseling social worker). Psychiatrists are able to prescribe medication, if necessary.

Individual therapy is available on a short-term basis. Decisions about the appropriate treatment are made on an individual basis.

Can I request a therapist?

During your initial assessment, you will have the opportunity to discuss your preferences for a clinician. Depending upon your clinical needs and mutual schedules some or all your preferences may be accommodated. 

Is it possible for me to be asked to leave UT Southwestern Medical Center for something I say in a session?

If a student's medical condition interferes with their ability to perform academically, manage day-to-day functioning, or live safely at school, a medical withdrawal may be recommended or initiated by the student. This allows a student to receive more intensive treatment than is possible while remaining on campus. We anticipate that a student who leaves due to a medical withdrawal will return to graduate. 

I am a student and I do not want to use the Student Wellness & Counseling services at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Am I covered for outpatient psychotherapy outside of UT Southwestern Medical Center?

If you have purchased the student insurance or are covered by other medical insurance, you may see providers as outlined in your network plan.

How can I communicate feedback about my experience?

We welcome your feedback, both positive and negative, about your experience as we are interested in making Student Wellness & Counseling work better for you. Our Patient Satisfaction Survey will only take a few minutes of your time. The more specific your comments, the more helpful they will be in our efforts to maintain and improve the quality of staff and services. You can also contact the department supervisor.

What about confidentiality?

Student Wellness and Counseling records for UT Southwestern Medical Center students are separate from other medical records. 

Student Wellness & Counseling will not release information about a patient to anyone including Masters, Deans, parents, family, friends, coaches, employers, or the government without your permission. 

Everything discussed with a mental health clinician is held in strictest confidence and is not communicated to anyone without your permission, except in the rare instance of a life-threatening situation. 

Deans are notified only of your location in the case of hospitalization but are not given any of your medical information without your permission. 

Once my chart is in Epic, will all my personal information be visible to everyone?

All student treatment records within Student Services will be restricted as they currently are. Only your providers in Student Health Services and Student Wellness and Counseling will have access to your full record.  

How will billing and use of electronic medical records impact my ability to obtain licensure or residency positions?

The use of electronic medical records and billing insurance will not change or impact medical students or health profession students entering a licensed health care field to obtain licensure, or residency positions. 

Fees and Insurance

Health insurance plans vary a great deal. Your insurance company may cover part, all, or none of the charges for your care. To find out what your plan covers, call your health insurance company's customer service number or look on their website for details about your policy. 

All students are required to have health insurance. You are responsible for charges that are not covered by your insurance. Student Wellness & Counseling will bill your insurance for any charges in excess of your co-pay. The Student Health Insurance plan covers copayment for visits to Student Wellness and Counseling. For those with UT Select, there is no co-pay. Students with other insurance (e.g. spouse or parent) might have different out of pocket expenses which are generally modest. Clinic staff members are available to assist you with understanding your cost-sharing obligations for care provided.

Student Health Insurance is an affordable option approved by the University of Texas system and designed specifically for UT students.