Internal Medicine/Psychiatry Residency Program
Welcome to the new Combined Internal Medicine and Psychiatry Residency Program at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Trainees of our nascent five-year residency program have an unparalleled opportunity to create and grow the culture of combined practice at one of the premiere academic medical centers in the nation.
Combined program residents at UT Southwestern Medical center enjoy the full array of resources and educational opportunities provided by the internationally recognized faculty and researchers of each categorical program. Clinical training occurs through encounters with an incredibly diverse patient base at wide variety of systems including:
- Parkland Health and Hospital System, one of the nation’s premier public county hospitals
- Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital and Zale Lipshy University Hospital
- Children’s Health℠ Children's Medical Center Dallas, a private tertiary care pediatric hospital
- Metrocare Services, an innovative public-private community psychiatry system
This variety provides an experience for residents that is outstanding in every respect and instills them with the confidence to practice in whatever setting they choose after graduation.
In addition to the opportunities provided by both categorical programs, the combined program leverages the variety of resources that UT Southwestern Medical Center has at hand–including a secured inpatient medical ward for those with co-morbid acute medical and psychiatric illness, our ACGME-accredited psychosomatic fellowship program, and our integrated care practice program–to develop didactics and experiential training specifically for combined program residents.