The PROVIDES Program is the Provost’s Initiative for Diverse Emerging Scholars. Our mission is to help increase diversity within the postdoctoral community at UT Southwestern and to support the successful transition of postdoctoral fellows into independent faculty positions.
This program is for graduating Ph.D. students who plan to pursue an academic faculty position.
What Does PROVIDES Offer?
PROVIDES Scholars start the program when their postdoctoral fellowship begins, and the program continues throughout the duration of their fellowship. The program is an avenue for postdoctoral fellows to be involved with faculty mentors, experience professional development opportunities, receive leadership and grant-writing training, and gain access to research facilities.
Our mentorship and professional development opportunities include:
- Biannual meetings with a Faculty Mentoring Committee that provides professional guidance and assists with transition into independence
- Assistance preparing competitive extramural fellowship grant applications
- Training in grant writing
- Attendance at the PROVIDES Seminar Series featuring distinguished scientists from diverse backgrounds and access to workshops on topics such as “Communication Skills” and “How Search Committees Work”
- Leadership training through participation in practice sessions, journal clubs, and monthly works-in-progress luncheons
- Support from the Postdoctoral Affairs Office, Postdoctoral Association, Office of Career and Professional Development, and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion
Access to Core Facilities
As PROVIDES fellows pursue research in their own area of interest, they gain access to top research tools at UT Southwestern including cryo-electron microscopy, DNA genotyping, DNA microarray, electron microscopy, flow cytometry, genomics and microarray, high-throughput screening, live-cell imaging, medicinal chemistry, metabolic phenotyping, next-generation sequencing, proteomics, transgenics, and structural biology.
How to Apply
Graduate students who anticipate completing their Ph.D. by May 2020 and plan to pursue an academic faculty position are invited to apply to be a PROVIDES Scholar. Our admission period is ongoing, so you can submit your application at any time.
To apply, please send an email that includes a brief research statement and career goals, a CV, and one letter of recommendation to PROVIDES@utsouthwestern.edu.