Style for Journalists
UT Southwestern, one of the premier academic medical centers in the nation, integrates pioneering biomedical research with exceptional clinical care and education.
Preferred UT Southwestern Medical Center Style
- The institution’s full name is The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.
- The preferred style for the institution on first reference for any external communication is: UT Southwestern Medical Center
- On second reference and thereafter, UT Southwestern is the preferred proper name.
- UT Southwestern Med Ctr is also acceptable for TV IDs.
UT Southwestern is a component of The University of Texas System, but we are not a satellite campus of UT Austin.
Avoid abbreviations or incorrect styles often used but not preferred or endorsed by UT Southwestern including: University of Texas, Texas Southwestern, Southwestern Medical Center, or UTSW (except in headlines).
UT Southwestern includes three degree-granting institutions:
- UT Southwestern Medical School
- UT Southwestern School of Health Professions
- UT Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
About the UT Southwestern Campus
Part of The University of Texas System, UT Southwestern is located in the Southwestern Medical District, which delivers renowned health care in partnership with innovative, world-class research and education. The District, bordered by Mockingbird Lane, Medical District Drive, Stemmons Freeway, and Maple Avenue, includes a 387-acre medical complex, which employs a workforce of more than 24,000 people. UT Southwestern encompasses nearly 290 acres of the District.