Postdoctoral Professional Outcomes
Postdoctoral Alumni Career Pathways
As graduate students considering postdoctoral training at UT Southwestern, we encourage you to review our postdoctoral training outcomes to determine if we are the right fit for your career aspirations.
If you are a current postdoctoral trainee, we encourage you to review the postdoc training outcomes to open your mind to the breadth of opportunities and to help you make informed career decisions.
Postdoctoral Graduates 2016-2017
Postdoctoral Graduates 2010-2015
Postdoctoral Graduates 2000-2015
- Multiple strategies are used to gather data, including reaching out through the trainee’s former mentor, emailing alumni directly, and looking up information through social media, primarily LinkedIn and Google.
- Of the 175 postdoc alumni that left our program during the 2016-2017 academic year, we have outcomes data from 143 alumni (82%).
- Of the 1179 postdoc alumni that left our program between 2010 and 2015 we have outcomes data from 705 alumni (60%).
- Of the 3100 postdoc alumni that left our program between 2000 and 2015 we currently have outcomes data from 1761 alumni (57%).
- Many of our postdoc alumni participate in additional postdoctoral training or education. An important contributing factor is how many UT Southwestern graduate students continue here as postdocs for several months after their degree completion but before starting postdoctoral training at another institution.
- The large majority of our postdoc alumni are employed in the academic sector. Important contributing factors are that UT Southwestern is a stand-alone medical center with no undergraduates, located in the south-central region of the US, and typically trains a primarily international postdoc community (~70%) with visa/work limitations.