Postdoctoral Affairs Office
The Postdoctoral Affairs Office serves and advocates for postdoctoral scholars and the faculty who train them at UT Southwestern Medical Center. We are located on the third floor of the C. Kern Wildenthal Research Building, also known as the NL building, on the North Campus.
The functions of the Postdoctoral Affairs Office are to:
- Advocate and provide guidance for postdoctoral scholars
- Develop and implement policy
- Direct the Postdoctoral Certificate Training Program
- Promote recruitment of postdoctoral scholars
- Answer your questions: SGSPostdocOffice@utsouthwestern.edu
- Support for more than 500 postdocs in 35 different Departments/Centers
- A monthly orientation for new postdocs
- Approval of all postdoctoral appointments and pay to ensure equity and compliance with visa laws
- A Postdoc Handbook to answer frequently asked questions by both applicants and current postdocs
- Postdoctoral fellowship application support
- Assistance with postdoc recruitment, including those from underrepresented groups through our PROVIDES program.
- Approval and posting of available postdoctoral training opportunities
- The Postdoctoral Certificate Training Program, which provides postdocs with training in the responsible conduct of research, research skills, communication skills, leadership and management skills, and professional development (including their individual development plans)
- Career and professional development activities in partnership with our Graduate Career Development Office
- Support of the Postdoctoral Association (PDA), which provides a sense of community through scientific and social interaction, promotes effective training and career development, represents and addresses issues relevant to postdocs, and eases the transition for new, particularly international, postdocs
- Annual Postdoctoral Research Symposium during National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW)
Questions for Postdoctoral Affairs Office
Contact our office via Email for assistance.
Deirdre Brekken, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Postdoctoral Affairs
Director of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs