Cooperative and Sponsored Research
- To provide prompt and courteous service to faculty members and outside agencies, executing agreements in consultation with faculty in a timely manner.
- To ensure that all agreements comply with state and local laws, University policy, and any funding source restrictions.
- To ensure all intellectual property provisions are fair, protective of faculty interests, and in accordance with University policy and the OTD mission.
What agreements does Cooperative and Sponsored Research manage?
- Confidential Disclosure Agreements (CDAs)
For sharing or receiving confidential unpublished/nonpublic information with or from outside organizations for the purpose of identifying non-clinical research opportunities.
- Collaborative Research Agreement (CRAs)
For conducting non-clinical research n collaboration with a university, nonprofit organization or for-profit entity.
- Data Use Agreements (DUAs)
- Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs)
For sending UT Southwestern materials or data to outside scientists in academia, government, or industry, or obtaining materials or data from scientists in academia, government, or industry.
- Sponsored Research Agreement (SRAs)
For conducting non-clinical research which is sponsored by a for-profit entity.
- Visiting Scientist Agreement (VRAs)
For a visit of any time frame by an outside scientist from academia, government, or industry to conduct research in a UT Southwestern lab.
To initiate an agreement, please log in to eAgreements with your University username and password. The first step is to complete the eAgreement Smart Form. No matter which agreement you are initiating, the user will start with the same first two pages of the Smart Form. The Smart Form is brief; however, more detailed questions are generated by the Smart Form as you respond to the basic questions.
The Contracts and Agreements Pathfinder (CAP) is a tool created by UT Southwestern that allows users to work through a flow chart to accurately identify the appropriate system and agreement type for their research. Pathfinder (CAP) will be connected with eAgreements for ease of access to the appropriate forms to initiate an agreement. Pathfinder (CAP) may be accessed by UT Southwestern employees only via the Intranet.
Assignment of Departments
Cooperative and Sponsored Research professionals manage from start to execution all non-royalty bearing legal agreements that govern the flow of intellectual property into or out of UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Academic material transfer agreements (MTAs) and confidential disclosure agreements (CDAs) are handled primarily by the two Grants and Contracts Specialists on staff.
Any industry or complex non-profit MTAs or CDAs are assigned to one of the three Senior Grants and Contracts Specialists.
Additionally, the three Senior Grants and Contracts Specialists are charged with the management of industry-sponsored research agreements (SRAs), academic and industry collaborative research agreements (CRAs), and visiting scientist agreements (VSAs).