Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology/Neuroendovascular
Why UT Southwestern
The Texas Medical Board (TMB) approved Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology/Neuroendovascular Surgery fellowship program at UT Southwestern provides a broad clinical and academic educational experience in neurointerventional techniques of treating cerebrovascular disease. The program has an extensive history of fellowship training within a dynamic multispecialty cerebrovascular referral practice. Our goal is exceptional neurointerventional training leading to future private or academic practice.
- Interventional Neuroradiology
- Associate Professor
- Interventional Neurology
- Interventional Neuroradiology
- The formal fellowship is structured according to accreditation pathways endorsed by the ACGME and the committee of advanced specialty training (CAST) of the Society of Neurological Surgeons, providing 12 months of continuous training in neurointerventional techniques
- Depending upon the specialty background of the trainee, formal rotation on neurocritical care services, angiography/imaging, and neurosurgical services may be incorporated as additional training to fulfill appropriate prerequisite requirements. Most trainees spend two years with us in training.
- The faculty have backgrounds in Neuroradiology, Neurosurgery, and Neurology, bringing differing areas of expertise to a truly multispecialty practice
- UTSW Hospitals and Parkland Memorial Hospital represent two of the few comprehensive stroke centers in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex
- Extensive clinical participation in cases performed Parkland Memorial Hospital (870 beds), Clements University Hospital (460 beds), Zale Lipshy Pavilion (148 beds), and Children’s Health℠ (487 beds)
- Develop clinical competence in the care of neurovascular patients with technical competence in the performance of neurovascular interventional procedures, to include: aneurysm embolization, aneurysm flow-diversion, embolization of tumors, vascular malformations and trauma-related vascular injury, and acute/preventative interventions for the treatment of stroke
- Participation in research projects with Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology/Neuroendovascular Surgery
Beyond the clinical experience
Fellows’ responsibilities also include assisting in resident education and training.
- Pay commensurate with PGY level
- Fellows have three vacation weeks and one meeting week
Call duties are fulfilled approximately every second to third week with a beeper call from home. Most call responsibility involves the performance of after-hours neurovascular interventional procedures in conjunction with faculty at one of our two comprehensive stroke centers.
Facilities and Equipment
Clinical facilities consist of
- Four dual-energy CT scanners, including a Philips IQON spectral CT device
- One 320-row CT scanner
- Three 256-row CT scanners
- Twelve 64-row CT scanners
- Seven 3T magnets
- Seven 1.5T magnets
- Fourteen Philips iu22 (including elastography software) ultrasound units
- Nineteen EPIQ7 ultrasound units
Angiographic facilities include
- Three biplane Toshiba Infinix angiography rooms with 3D angiography, low contrast imaging, and 3D roadmap capability
- Two biplane Philips angiography suites with 3D angiography, cone beam CT imaging, and dose reduction strategies
Additional research equipment includes
- One 7T magnet
Informative, multidisciplinary clinical conferences in combination with neurology, neurosurgery, neuropathology, and otorhinolaryngology services are available and routinely attended by neuroradiology faculty and fellows. Weekly multidisciplinary neurovascular conferences are also offered as well as monthly neurointerventional morbidity and mortality conferences.
Intellectual vibrancy and technological innovation are core values of the Department, which are developed through research and collaborative efforts of the clinical faculty and Department Ph.D.s.
The program provides two one-year fellowship positions annually. Information regarding the application process can be found under How to Apply on the main Fellowships page.
International Medical Graduates
For questions regarding International Medical Graduates, please visit our fellowships page.