Pilot & Feasibility Grants for Nutrition Obesity Research
The application period for the Fall 2022 cycle of Pilot & Feasibility Grants is now closed. Please check back in the Fall for information on the next cycle.
Grant Application Opportunity
Each year, the UT Southwestern Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) solicits proposals for Pilot and Feasibility Grants (P&F) to support studies on nutrition, obesity, and obesity-related disorders. Projects that will be supported include the following areas:
- Mechanisms underlying body weight homeostasis
- Obesity and obesity-related disorders
- Must be an independent investigator and faculty member at UT Southwestern (postdoctoral fellows or their equivalents are ineligible)
- New investigators beginning research careers focused on nutrition, obesity, and obesity-related complications without current or past extramural research support equivalent to an NIH R01, VA Merit Award, or P01 as a principal investigator
- Established investigators with no previous work in nutrition/obesity who wish to apply their expertise to a problem in this area
- Established nutritional sciences or obesity investigators who wish to take an entirely new direction from their usual work
Up to $50,000 for one year, with a possibility of renewal for one additional year with exceptional progress. Awardees also receive prorated costs for use of NORC Metabolic Core facilities.
The application period for the Fall 2022 cycle of Pilot & Feasibility Grants has ended. Awardees have been announced and funding will commence on Jan. 1, 2023.
Proposal Criteria and Guidelines
Only one application per faculty member is permitted. Collaborative efforts are welcomed. Women and underrepresented minorities are encouraged to apply. Proposals should be organized as follows:
- Abstract (one page – if awarded this will be posted on NORC website)
- Specific Aims (one page)
- Research Proposal (four pages maximum) – background and significance, innovation, plans for future funding, preliminary data, and experimental design
- Budget (one page) – Funds may not be applied to salary support for PI or faculty (but can support staff). Travel (except as related to NORC project) and purchase of equipment are not allowed.
- BioSketch in the NIH format (five-page maximum) with listing of current funding
- Letter of support from your department chair, division chief, or center director