What is VitalSign6?
The Annual Screen
VS6 prompts participating clinics to screen every patient for depression annually. In an initial screen, patients use the iPad application to complete a shortened, two-item version of the Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-2). If a patient has a positive PHQ-2 score, the application automatically administers additional assessments, including the full PHQ-9. VS6 displays these results to providers and guides them in making a diagnosis and selecting a treatment plan.
MBC in Primary Care
Once a provider diagnoses a patient with depression, that patient is initiated into measurement-based care (MBC). At every follow-up visit, patients in MBC use VS6 to complete a set of assessments measuring the three critical areas of MBC: symptoms, side effects, and medication adherence. Providers use these sequential measurements to narrow the scope of their mental health interview with patients while still providing thorough, high-quality care.
The evidence-based treatment guidelines of VitalSign are opening up the door for more and more patients to achieve remission of their depressive symptoms. Participating VitalSign clinics have access to a variety of educational resources developed by the VitalSign team. Composed of psychiatrists, psychologists, medical social workers, and other staff, this team provides structured guidance on the use of evidence-based pharmacotherapy and brief psychosocial interventions. They are available, either on-site or via phone, to assist primary care clinics with any aspect of MBC for patients with depression.
- Improve access to behavioral health care for all patient populations by systematically identifying patients with depression and initiating treatment within the primary care setting.
- Optimize depression treatment outcomes (symptom severity, side-effect burden, and adherence) by providing education and structured guidance on the use of evidence-based pharmacotherapy and brief psychosocial interventions, as well as training in the implementation of validated care coordination strategies.
- Patient Adherence Questionnaire (PAQ) [English]
- Patient Adherence Questionnaire (PAQ) [en Español]
- Frequency, Intensity, and Burden of Side Effects Rating (FIBSER) [English]
- Frequency, Intensity, and Burden of Side Effects Rating (FIBSER) [en Español]
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder 7 (GAD-7) [en Español]
- Concise Associated Symptoms Tracking – Self-Report Scale (CAST-SR)
- Concise Associated Symptoms Tracking Scale (CAST) [English]
- Concise Associated Symptoms Tracking Sale (CAST) [en Español]
- Pain Frequency, Intensity, and Burden Scale (P-FIBS) [English]
- Pain Frequency, Intensity, and Burden Scale (P-FIBS) [en Español]
- Concise Health Risk Tracking Scale (CHRT) [English]
- Concise Health Risk Tracking Scale (CHRT) [en Español]
- Alcohol and Drug Usage Screen [English]
- Alcohol and Drug Usage Screen [en Español]