How to Apply for Residency
The Otolaryngology Residency Program participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) approved by the Association of Academic Departments of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Applicants must register with NRMP and the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
Our Residency Program is a categorical program that consists of a one-year internship in general surgery and a four-year residency in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Our Residency is a combined program — applicants are not required to apply for their internship year separately. Acceptance automatically confers acceptance into an internship in the Department of Surgery.
Application and Interview
- Interviews are granted after receipt and careful evaluation of application materials by the faculty
- Applications are reviewed in the fall and selections will be made in early November. (We are aware that Dean's letters will not be released until November 1.)
- Interviews are held on four separate days in January. Applicants will be informed of the specific dates in their invitation letter. Invitation letters are mailed in November.
Our Residency Program is highly competitive. Students from other medical schools interested in our Residency Program are encouraged to participate in an away rotation at UT Southwestern during their fourth year of medical school. Applicants selected for our Program usually graduate in the top 10 percent of their medical school class, and strong preference is given to applicants with extensive research experience. In addition, applicants are required to submit letters of recommendation along with their applications, followed by a Dean's letter on or about November 1 of the applying year. Our Program actively seeks residents from diverse backgrounds, and all interested parties are encouraged to apply.
Requirements for Application
- Common application form
- Personal statement
- Medical school transcript
- MSPE/Dean's letter
- Letters of recommendation (maximum of 4)
- Photograph – not optional
- USMLE transcript – not optional
- COMLEX transcript – for D.O. graduates
- ECFMG status report – foreign graduates only