Mouse MRI Core
The Mouse MRI Core Facility offers state-of-the-art magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and proton spectroscopy (MRS) of mice and other small animals to all campus investigators.
The facility includes a 7 Tesla horizontal-bore magnet and various physiology monitoring capabilities, including ECG, respiratory gating for cardiac imaging, and temperature monitoring and control throughout the imaging experiment. The facility will provide guidance for post-processing of image data and experimental planning for longitudinal studies.
MR Imaging Methods
- T1, T2, Proton-Weighted Imaging, Gd-T1 weighted imaging
- Dynamic Contrast Enhanced MRI
- Diffusion-Weighted Imaging (DWI)/Diffusion-Tensor Imaging (DTI)
- Single-Voxel Spectroscopy
- CSI-Chemical Shift Imaging
Applications for which we can provide expertise include, but are not limited to:
Anatomical MR Imaging
- Normal development and aging
- Detection/Monitoring of lesions (tumor, ischemia, etc.)
- Body fat distribution
Functional MR Imaging
- Perfusion (angiogenesis, etc.)
- Cardiac motion/Ejection fraction
- Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA)
- Fat metabolites
- Characterization of tumors
Planning Your Study
Please contact Masaya Takahashi, Associate Professor of AIRC and director of animal imaging, at email@example.com for a Project Application Form. When we receive your application form, we will contact you to schedule a brief meeting to discuss your project details and set appropriate imaging goals. If your IACUC protocol does not already include MR procedures, you will be required to submit an addendum to your protocol with IACUC.
You will be responsible for contacting the ARC well ahead of time to arrange for transport of your animals to and from the appropriate animal holding areas.
Fees and Policies
The Mouse MRI Core Facility is available for use to UTSW researchers at a rate of $100 per hour, with a minimum of 30 minutes.
The total MR session time includes:
- Initial animal preparation
- Preliminary MR scans (verification of animal position, MR pre-scans)
- Actual MR scan time
The total time will depend on the number of animals to be imaged and the methods to be applied. Investigators are responsible for time reserved on the magnet. Any cancellations should be made 24 hours in advance to avoid charges.
For questions or concerns regarding billing, please contact Tina Luong at the AIRC.