The Metabolomics Module will provide assistance to investigators who work with small molecules (such as lipids, carbohydrates, vitamins, drugs, etc.).
The following services are available:
- Evaluation of chemical composition of biological samples (with a focus on lipids and other small molecules) using chromatography and mass-spectrometry
- Quantitation of specific low molecular weight biomarkers (provided that proper chemical standards are available)
- Structural analyses of unknown metabolites
- 2D and 3D mass spectrometric imaging of thin tissue sections (projected for 2016-)
This module has two fundamental goals:
- To provide technical assistance in characterization of small molecules in complex biological samples
- To facilitate the individual NEI investigator’s eye-related research by providing assistance in making custom biological reagents that require extensive experience, training, infrastructure, and resources to be generated (such as recombinant proteins)
Fulfilling these goals will accelerate the pace and effectiveness of NEI-funded vision research projects at UT Southwestern.