Message from the Chief Residents
Amanda Hernandez and Adam Hoffhines
2013-2014 Co-Chief Residents
As the 2013-2014 Chief Residents, we would like to welcome you to the UT Southwestern Pathology Residency/Fellowship Program web page! Below, you will be able to review the program highlights, which make UTSW a great program for pathology training.
- Large program size (up to 10 residents per class- 8 AP/CP, 2 CP) and over 20 fellows from around the world.
- Strong, balanced training in anatomic and clinical pathology: Our residents excel on the Resident In-Service Exam (RISE) and AP and CP boards.
- Abundant and diverse surgical specimens: On average, we received over 25,000 surgical specimens and 4,500 non-gynecologic cytology specimens per year. We have pathology assistants and numerous support staff on the Parkland and UTSW surgical pathology services that teach and enhance the learning experience for the residents.
- Variety of teaching institutions that exposes residents to disease processes of varying stages and from different populations. We rotate through the Parkland Health & Hospital System, UT Southwestern University Hospitals (Zale Lipshy and St. Paul Hospitals), Dallas VA Medical Center, Children’s Medical Center, and the Dallas Institute of Forensic Science.
- Numerous elective and away rotations: We have academic relationships with several private pathology institutes in Dallas, and away rotations are always supported and encouraged, including out-of-town, out-of-state, and international rotations, all while maintaining your resident salary
- Research and publication opportunities: Many of our faculty mentor residents in academic and research activities that culminate in the presentation of scholarly work on both a local and national scale.
- More than 100 faculty members who closely work with residents on cases and mentor residents throughout their training. We also invite several world-renown pathologists every year to visit our program to provide unknown slide seminars and lectures to our residents.
- Collegial learning environment that nurtures and enriches the spectrum of individual interests and goals, while providing the general knowledge and skills required to become excellent pathologists
- UTSW and UTSW academic affiliated fellowships: Owing to our talented staff, incredible patient population, and sizeable volume, our program sustains a number of fellowships:
- Surgical Pathology (fellows are considered junior faculty)
- Breast Pathology
- Pediatric Pathology
- Forensics Pathology (Dallas Institute of Forensic Science)
- Gastrointestinal and Liver Pathology (UT Southwestern University Hospitals and Miraca Life Sciences)
- Dermatopathology (Cockerell Dermatopathology Associates)
- Transfusion Medicine
- Clinical Chemistry
- Flexible and accommodating rotation and call scheduling (average 18 days per resident per year)
- Family friendly: Over half of the program residents are married, many of which have children. An excellent on-site daycare is available.
- Competitive salaries and great benefits: Our program has the highest resident salary in Texas. (2013-2014 PGY1- $54,053). Pathology residents receive a $750 per year book/educational fund that can roll over from year to year and a work laptop with access to EMR away from the hospital.
- Graduates are competitive fellowship candidates: Recent and soon-to-be residency graduates will be continuing their training at the following institutions:
- Oncologic Pathology (Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, MD Anderson Cancer Center)
- Genitourinary Pathology (Bostwick Laboratories, Johns Hopkins Hospital)
- Gastrointestinal Pathology (Johns Hopkins Hospital, Miraca Life Sciences, Cedars Sinai)
- Surgical Pathology and Cytopathology (Methodist Hospital in Houston, University of Texas at San Antonio, University of Maryland)
- Dermatopathology (Ackerman Academy of Dermatopathology, Medical University of South Carolina, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Cockerell Dermatopathology Associates, University of Pittsburgh, Geisinger Health System)
- Renal Pathology (Nephropath)
- Molecular Pathology (University of Pennsylvania)
- Hematopathology (Johns Hopkins Hospital, University of California San Francisco, University of Arizona)
- Microbiology (Emory University)
The future for UTSW pathology residents
- New Parkland Hospital is to be completed in 2015. It is the largest hospital project in America (862 beds) and will have state-of-the-art clinical pathology services, surgical pathology grossing rooms, and resident space and facilities.
- New William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital, a 460-bed facility, is scheduled to be completed in 2014.
The Department of Pathology has been intimately involved in the planning of both facilities, and we are very excited to begin the transition to our new home.
The Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
We are very fortunate that our program is located in Dallas, an exciting and growing city that has so much to offer. Our climate is excellent and the cost of living is very affordable. The city and convenient suburbs provide a great home for both single residents and those with families. The Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) Airport and Love Field are hubs to American Airlines and Southwest Airlines, respectively, and provide convenient and affordable domestic and international travel. Additionally, social and cultural opportunities include:
- Five professional sports teams (2011 World Champion Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers, Dallas Stars, and FC Dallas)
- World class performing arts facilities (AT&T Performing Arts Center, Winspear Opera House),
- Excellent museums (Dallas Museum of Art, Dallas World Aquarium, and an almost finished Dallas Museum of Nature and Science)
- Family venues and events (Dallas Zoo, Fort Worth Zoo, Fort Worth Stock Yards, Dallas Arboretum, Fair Park, lakes and nature trails, Texas State Fair, Mesquite Rodeo, Fort Worth Rodeo) and outstanding restaurants and nightlife. We urge you to give our program a closer look by exploring this web site. We welcome everyone, medical students and pathology residents, to experience a rotation with us. If you are an applicant to our residency or fellowship programs, we will look forward to your visit with us.
Should you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact either of us at email@example.com.