Website Linking Policy
Advanced permission to link to UT Southwestern Medical Center (UT Southwestern) websites is not necessary. However, pages within these sites may change at any time without notice. Links to UT Southwestern should be continuously checked.
Entities and individuals linking to UT Southwestern shall not capture our pages within frames, present UT Southwestern content as its own, or otherwise misrepresent UT Southwestern content. Furthermore, they shall not misinform users about the origin or ownership of UT Southwestern content. Certain information on our sites may be trademarked, service-marked, or otherwise protected as intellectual property. Protected intellectual property must be used in accordance with state and federal laws and reflect the proper ownership of the intellectual property.
Any link to a UT Southwestern site should be a full forward link that passes the client browser to sites unencumbered. The “Back” button should return the visitor to original site if the visitor wishes to back out.
Links from UT Southwestern
This section outlines the criteria and requirements that external websites must meet to have a link from our websites. It also details how links are accepted and removed from the UT Southwestern websites. We reserve the right to link to external websites that provide a service or are otherwise of value to our users.
1. Acceptance Criteria
Our websites have links to federal, state, and local governments that provide information and services benefiting users. We will, at our discretion, consider link requests to non-governmental websites containing information and/or services that further the purpose of UT Southwestern, including sites of UT Southwestern-contracted vendors, relevant technology-related associations, and timely and relevant information technology publications.
Our websites are not forums for public communication and debate. The criteria outlined in this section have been established to ensure our websites remain a non-public forum.
Each link request we receive must undergo review to determine its relevance and appropriateness to the purpose of UT Southwestern. Approval is based on the following criteria:
- The external website corresponds with the purpose of UT Southwestern
- The website’s content is appropriate with respect to the purpose of UT Southwestern
- The website does not:
- Exhibit hate, bias, discrimination, pornography, libelous, or otherwise defamatory content.
- Advocate or promote the use of alcohol or tobacco.
- Belong to or support a political affiliation.
- Further the agenda of a political organization or candidate running for office.
UT Southwestern reserves the right to deny links we determine a website contains misleading or unsubstantiated claims, conflicts with the purpose of UT Southwestern, or does not meet one or more of the criteria out in this policy.
2. Review Process
- Email link requests the UT Southwestern webmaster, placing “Link Request” in the subject line. Each link request should address how the site meets the two acceptance criteria outlined above.
- The link request will be reviewed against the acceptance criteria set forth above. The decision of the UT Southwestern General Counsel is final as to whether the requesting site may have a link from our websites.
- Approved sites must comply with the following conditions for link maintenance and may be required to enter into a written linking agreement with UT Southwestern.
3. Conditions for Link Maintenance on UT Southwestern
To provide superior customer service with our websites, we require any websites with a link from our site meet the following conditions to maintain that link:
- The linked site must provide the user with access to an email address and/or a customer service telephone number to contact if there are problems with format, accuracy, timeliness, or payment processing.
- Linked sites should not excessively burden the UT Southwestern customer support system or the link will be removed.
- Users must have easy access back to UT Southwestern websites one of two ways:
- A link to UT Southwestern websites established on the external website’s main page; or
- A “Back” button returning the user to the UT Southwestern websites.
Linked sites must have a privacy and security policy accessible from the home page informing the user of what personal information is collected, how it is collected, and how it is used. UT Southwestern encourages linked sites to comply with industry-accepted accessibility standards to ensure users with disabilities may access these sites.
Linked sites must notify the UT Southwestern webmaster if the site becomes inaccurate or inactive.
4. Removal Process
UT Southwestern reserves the right to remove links if it determines a website contains misleading or unsubstantiated claims, conflicts with the purpose of UT Southwestern, or does not meet one or more of the criteria set forth above in this policy. The decision of the UT Southwestern General Counsel is final as to whether a link is to be removed. Links will be reviewed regularly and may be removed for the following reasons:
- The link no longer points to the original information or resource to which it was intended to point.
- The linked website contains inaccurate or misleading information or has changed such that it is no longer in compliance with the acceptance criteria.
- The linked website violates the conditions for link maintenance.
- Access to the information has become difficult due to non-standard formatting, lengthy download times. or intrusive advertising.
- The link is permanently unreachable or remains unavailable for a lengthy period.
- The external website fails to comply with the written linking agreement, if any.
For questions and concerns regarding the linking policy, email the UT Southwestern webmaster at email@example.com.