The Office of Internal Audit is an independent appraisal function established to provide internal audit and consulting services to UT Southwestern.
OIA assists management and the Audit Committee in identifying, avoiding, and mitigating risks by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluating and improving the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes.
In general, Internal Audit's objectives are to:
- Evaluate the adequacy of the internal control structure within a department to manage risk
- Assess the extent of compliance of each area with applicable laws, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Verify the existence of assets and proper safeguards for their protection
- Evaluate the adequacy, reliability, and effectiveness of financial and personnel reporting systems and procedures
- Appraise the quality of management's performance in carrying out assigned duties, and accomplishing goals and objectives
- Perform audits directed toward cost savings or revenue enhancement opportunities
- Investigate reported concerns relating to dishonest or fraudulent activities
We seek a collaborative relationship with each department during audits or consulting engagements and are committed to providing the highest-quality auditing and consulting services possible.