Providing valid and optimal statistical design and analysis required to address the specific aims of cancer-related research projects.
This shared facility provides access to comprehensive biostatistical and bioinformatics expertise to ensure statistical integrity, to optimize statistical design and analysis, and to extract and illuminate all relevant scientific and clinical information from the data. The services of the shared facility are integrated with those of the Department of Clinical Sciences to assure access to specialized expertise and data management services.
- Review background rationale, to assist in the design, evaluation, and analysis of new research proposals arising from current projects
- Provide proper analysis and interpretations of different types of bioassays, particularly mega-data such as those generated from gene expression arrays
- Assist in manuscript preparation and to review scientific submission
- Review Cancer Center clinical research protocols.
- Provide special education and training opportunities in biostatistics and bioinformatics to oncology students, residents, fellows, and Cancer Center investigators
Assistance is available on all types of research projects, ranging from clinical trials and basic science experiments to epidemiological studies. Early consultation during the design phase of a study is highly recommended.
Consultations related to new grant submissions in cancer research: no charge for Cancer Center members; $90/hour for non-members
High Impact Publications
- Araki S, Eitel JA, Bijangi-Vishehsaraei K, Xie XJ, Danielpour D, Pollok KE, Boothman DA, Mayo LD. TGFβ1 induced expression of Mdm2 correlates with late stage metastatic breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Investigation 2010;120(1): 290-302.
- Dong Y, Bey EA, Li L, Kabbani W, Yan J, Xie X-J, Hsieh JT, Gao J, Boothman D. Prostate cancer radiosensitization through poly (ADP-Ribose) polymerase-1 hyperactivation. 2010;70(20): 8088-8096. Cancer Research
- Li LS, Bey EA, Dong Y, Meng J, Patra B, Yan J, Xie XJ, Brekken RA, Barnett CC, Bornmann WG, Gao J, Barnett CC, Boothman DA. Modulating endogenous NQO1 levels identifies key regulatory mechanisms of action of β-lapachone for pancreatic cancer therapy. Clinical Cancer Research. 2011;17(2): 275-285.
- Kucejova B, Sunny N, Nguyen A, Hallac R, Fu X, Pena-Llopis S, Mason R, DeBerardinis R, Xie XJ, DeBose-Boyd R, Kodibagkar V, Burgess S, Brugarolas J. Uncoupling oxygen sensing from hypoxia signaling in the liver results in hypoketonic hypoglycemic death. Oncogene. 2010.
- Boike T, Lotan Y, Cho LC, Brindle J, DeRose P, Xie XJ, Yan J, Foster R, Pistenmaa D, Timmerman R. A phase I dose escalation study of stereotactic body radiation therapy for low and intermediate risk prostate cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2010.
- Jeong Y, Xie Y, Xiao G, Behrens C, Girard L, Wistuba II, Minna JD, Mangelsdorf DJ. Nuclear receptor expression defines a set of prognostic biomarkers for lung cancer. PLoS Medicine. 2010 Dec 14;7(12):e1000378.
- Sullivan JP, Spinola M, Dodge M, Raso MG, Behrens C, Gao B, Schuster K, Shao C, Larsen JE, Sullivan LA, Honorio S, Xie Y, Scaglioni PP, DiMaio JM, Gazdar AF, Shay JW, Wistuba II, Minna JD. Aldehyde dehydrogenase activity selects for lung adenocarcinoma stem cells dependent on notch signaling. Cancer Research. 2010 Dec 1;70(23):9937-48.
- Cai D, Shames DS, Raso MG, Xie Y, Kim YH, Pollack JR, Girard L, Sullivan JP, Gao B, Peyton M, Nanjundan M, Byers L, Heymach J, Mills G, Gazdar AF, Wistuba I, Kodadek T, Minna JD. Steroid receptor coactivator-3 expression in lung cancer and its role in the regulation of cancer cell survival and proliferation. Cancer Research. 2010 Aug 15;70(16):6477-85.
- Xie Y, Pan W, Jeong KS, Xiao G, Khodursky AB. A Bayesian approach to joint modeling of protein-DNA binding, gene expression and sequence data. Statistics in Medicine. 2010 Feb 20;29(4):489-503.
- Xie Y, Minna JD. Non-small-cell lung cancer mRNA expression signature predicting response to adjuvant chemotherapy. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2010 Oct 10;28(29):4404-7.