Genetically modified mice are important tools for studying kidney physiology and diseases. However, expertise and equipment for physiological analysis of kidney function in mice are not readily available to many investigators in the renal research community. Furthermore, production of mutant mice has allowed investigators outside the renal community to uncover unexpected renal phenotypes and enter into renal research.
The objective of the Physiology Core is to help participating (established and new) renal investigators with a wide range of physiological techniques to study kidney physiology and diseases at the cellular, organ, and whole animal levels.
The Core will provide free services for certain assays; will provide advice, equipment, and training to assist center investigators’ laboratories to perform other assays; and will arrange collaborations with core directors on certain techniques that require extensive effort and advanced training.
- Measurement of urine and serum Cr in mice by capillary electrophoresis
- Measurement of serum and urine chemistry and blood gas
- Measurement of serum and urine citrate by capillary electrophoresis (in development)
- Microanalysis of serum and urine electrolytes by:
- Flame photometry
- Atomic absorption
- Ion-Selective Electrode
- Blood pressure measurement in mice and rats by tail-cuff method. Equipment and training provided to investigators free of charge.
- Clearance Studies. Core will provide metabolic cages (10 available) and advice to investigators free of charge.
- Microdissection of tubules for quantitation of proteins/gene expression (By collaboration only)
- Microperfusion, dissection of individual tubules for real time PCR, western blot, and immunohistochemistry (By collaboration only)
- Electrophysiological studies of ion channels by patch-clamp recordings (By collaboration only)
Sample Limits and Guidelines
- No more than 60 samples can be submitted at a time. Any samples exceeding this maximum will be analyzed as space allows as samples are run for other investigators, with no time guarantee.
- Please label samples as 1, 2, 3…n; and/or send an Excel file with the sample labels.
- Sample Volumes: ≥25 µL
- Sample volumes less than ≤20 µL can be accepted. However, processing will require more time (~1 additional week), and there is no guarantee.
- Any remaining samples will be kept at -20°C for up to 1 month; samples left beyond this time will be discarded.
- Samples mailed will not be returned.
- If any creatinine data appears to be an outlier, and there is enough sample remaining, a second analysis will be performed.
|Capillary Electrophoresis||Price per Sample||Turnaround Time||Note|
|Center Investigators||$6||2-4 weeks||Instrument maintenance or scheduling may delay processing|
|Chemistry Panel||Price per Sample||Note|
|Center Investigators||$5||First come basis|