The International Medical Exchange Program (IMEP) is a formal medical and research exchange program between UT Southwestern Medical Center and the Université de Paris Descartes in Paris, France.
For UT Southwestern students, the program is a one-year-long exchange that allows medical students to train in Paris for six months, followed by two, three-month rotations in lesser-developed countries of the student’s choosing.
Students who successfully complete this program graduate with an M.D. with Distinction in Global Health.
Students interested in research will have access to the Institut Fédératif de Recherche Necker-Enfants Malades (IRNEM) where they can pursue electives in clinical and basic research.
The IMEP begins in July and ends July of the following year. Fourth-year elective credit will be granted if the program is successfully completed.
Application Timeline and Deadlines
- Applications are due by November 1 of the year prior to the start of the exchange. Applications will not be accepted past the deadline. Supporting documentation submitted after the deadline will not be processed.
- Clerkships at the University of Paris Descartes begin in July. Students are required to follow the University of Paris Descartes academic calendar.
- Application for the M.D. with Distinction in Global Health must be submitted by December 31 of the year prior to the exchange and is a separate process from application for IMEP.
Candidates will be notified of their acceptance no later than January 1.
Enrollment and Loans
Students will be enrolled both at UTSW and Paris Descartes. All student benefits on both sides will be fully available to IMEP students, including insurance, loans, and other products or services.
Available Clerkships and Coursework
A detailed course catalogue can be found here.
A list of available countries and clerkships can be found here.
- Must be a medical student enrolled at UT Southwestern
- Must be pursuing a medical degree
- Must be in good standing at UT Southwestern
- Must have completed at least one year of in-hospital clinical training
- Must have completed either the Global Health preclinical elective or the orientation provided by the Office of Global Health
- Must pass the Alliance Francaise standardized exam for language proficiency
- Must receive nomination from their school’s academic office and Program Directors assigned to the IMEP
- Must provide documentation to establish availability of personal funds to enable issuance of a visa and carte de sejour
Université Paris Descartes Students
For Paris Descartes students, this is a year-long exchange where at least 6 months are spent in the core clerkships of internal medicine, pediatrics, and surgery at UT Southwestern and the remainder of the time is spent in research electives or other medical electives.
The Office of International Affairs offers assistance with immigration services and visa sponsorship.