Disclose Your Invention
- Intellectual Property Questionnaire – MS Word
- Intellectual Property Questionnaire – Adobe PDF (Editable)
Intellectual Property Process
1. Contributor(s) submit PHASE I Intellectual Property Disclosure.
2. OTD performs a preliminary prior art search on disclosed invention.
3. OTD IPQ Review Team evaluates disclosed invention.
4. If appropriate, the OTD IPQ Review Team develops an initial intellectual property and commercialization strategy.
a. This strategy may or may not include the filing of a patent application. Many inventions, including mouse models, cell lines, and software packages, are effectively commercialized without patent protection.
5. If requested by OTD, contributor(s) submits PHASE II Intellectual Property Disclosure.
6. If applicable, OTD will instruct patent counsel to prepare a draft patent application supportive of the commercialization strategy.
a. Patent counsel, OTD, and contributors review and edit patent application drafts.
b. Patent counsel files patent application with USPTO.
7. OTD implements appropriate commercialization strategy.