Our experienced nursing staff is specially trained to perform clinical research procedures, work with investigators, and assist study staff. Patient safety is the CRU’s main priority; our nurses consistently use expert clinical judgment, critical thinking skills, and a participant-centered approach to care. Each research participant receiving CRU nursing services can expect to feel welcome, appreciated, and cared for in a confidential research environment.
The CRU nursing staff can assist with the following tasks:
- One-on-one and protocol-specific nursing care;
- Administration of investigational drugs and infusions (including chemotherapy and biotherapy drugs);
- Placement and management of intravenous catheters;
- Participant assessments and continuous monitoring;
- Oral glucose testing and assistance with intravenous glucose testing;
- Preparation of detailed flow sheets and physician orders to ensure studies are conducted per protocol;
- Precise data collection and documentation, per protocol;
- Handling and processing of patient specimens; and
- Other nursing services as requested.
New to the CRU in 2017, an exercise lab is available to researches. Our state-of-the art facility is equipped for metabolic, cardiovascular, pulmonary, body composition, bone density, strength, and physical function testing.
What We Have
- Quark RMR calorimeter
- Lode Corival electro-magnetic breaking cycle ergometer
- Hologic™ Dual X-ray Absorptiometry (DXA)
- Exercise Bike: Lode Corival Electro-magnetic Breaking Cycle Ergometer
- Clinical Nutrition and Research
- The latest innovation in Indirect Calorimetry designed to accurately and instantaneously measure a patient’s energy requirements
- Accurate measurement of Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) and Metabolism substrate (RQ, FAT, CHO, PRO)
- Metabolic Function
- Pulmonary Function
The CRU provides a full-service dietetic staff, including a dietitian and technician, to provide study-specific research diets, metabolic meals, anthropometry, DXA scans, resting energy expenditure, maintenance of food intake journals, and development of the bionutrition segment of a protocol. The dietetic staff also is available to train study coordinators and nutritionists on standardized nutrition data collection and analysis.
Lab Processing Services
The CRU offers basic laboratory services for the collection, processing, and shipment of blood samples and other body fluids.
Study teams may utilize the lab facilities on their own after completing training, or the CRU can provide research coordinators and staff who offer laboratory assistance.
Each outpatient facility offers unique laboratory services, including -80 and -20 degree Celsius freezers at the CRU-Sprague, a -80 degree Celsius freezer at CRU-Aston, and centrifuges.